1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ngine running at 900 RPM to power a generator

1. Jul 4, 2009 #1
    I am trying to use an engine running at 900 RPM to power a generator that needs to run at 1800 RPM ( This will go through a pulley)

My question is is half the available horsepower to the generator lost since the RPM's are doubled?
    In other words, do I need to double the horsepower of the engine to do this?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 5, 2009 #2
    Re: Pulley/Horsepowercalculations

I don't think so. The RPM's are doubled, so the torque is halved, but I think the same amount of energy will be transferred, so you will have the same horsepower. Aside from the energy lost in the pulley (depending on its efficiency), I think the same engine will still work.

4. Jul 5, 2009 #3

Thanks Airman.

5. Jul 5, 2009 #4

I would still like someone to back me up on that. Does it sound right to the rest of you?

6. Jul 28, 2009 #5

Airman,

Yes you are correct, the faster pulley will half the torque but the motor torque will remain the same.

Torque = Watts/ (2xpi x revs per sec) in Nm

the rest of your answer is correct also.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook