Ngine running at 900 RPM to power a generator

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
Josh111
Messages
37
Reaction score
0
I am trying to use an engine running at 900 RPM to power a generator that needs to run at 1800 RPM ( This will go through a pulley)

My question is is half the available horsepower to the generator lost since the RPM's are doubled?
In other words, do I need to double the horsepower of the engine to do this?
 
Physics news on Phys.org


I don't think so. The RPM's are doubled, so the torque is halved, but I think the same amount of energy will be transferred, so you will have the same horsepower. Aside from the energy lost in the pulley (depending on its efficiency), I think the same engine will still work.
 


I would still like someone to back me up on that. Does it sound right to the rest of you?
 


Airman,

Yes you are correct, the faster pulley will half the torque but the motor torque will remain the same.

Torque = Watts/ (2xpi x revs per sec) in Nm

the rest of your answer is correct also.