Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Nice grouping of primes under 105

1. Apr 23, 2015 #1
    The simple algorithm shown in the uploaded file generates a nice grouping of primes under 105.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 23, 2015 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Is there a question there somewhere? I mean, what was your point in making this post?

4. Apr 23, 2015 #3
    I thought perhaps it might encourage someone to look for other algorithms that generate larger groupings. The algorithms could be described mathematically. Ultimately, my goal is to describe the nth prime!

5. Apr 23, 2015 #4
    I think that's a lost cause, there is no set of numbers which exclude prime number nth[next].
    (Unless you decide to exclude it arbitrarily for such reasons as your computer is incapable of storing it.)

Last edited: Apr 23, 2015
  6. Apr 24, 2015 #5

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

This is a known and unsolved problem in Mathematics today. Perhaps, once the Riemann Hypothesis is proven then out of it's proof will come a generating function for prime numbers. However, while we may fit selected groups of primes into some equation, there is no single equation that generates only prime numbers for any arbitrary size of primes.

7. Apr 24, 2015 #6

mfb

2016 Award

Wait, you just arrange the numbers in some "nice" way, but you still have to know the prime numbers to fill that pattern? Where is the point? You are not using any property of prime numbers at all.

8. Apr 24, 2015 #7
    One could use any algorithm to arrange natural numbers, and subsequently look for identifiable patterns in resulting groups (or patterns) of primes. I did not claim to find a pattern. I only commented on a interesting group.

9. Apr 24, 2015 #8

mfb

2016 Award

What is interesting? I just see a random arrangement.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook