Nichrome wire resistance problem

In summary, the conversation was about building a heater that runs on 120vac with a maximum of 10 amps. The questions included determining the required wattage, length of a 1mm nichrome wire at 20deg C, resistance at 1200deg F, and the new power at the new resistance. The conversation also discussed the given values for nichrome resistance and temperature coefficient. The solution involved calculating the required resistance from the potential and current, and then using the resistivity formula to find the necessary length of wire. The final result was determined to be 9.42 meters of wire with a resistance of 7620 ohms at 635deg C, which would produce 2 watts of power.
Jakefreese

Homework Statement

Build a heater that runs on 120vac no more than 10 amps. How many watts, 1mm nichrome wire, how long will it have to be at 20deg C. What will the resistance be at 1200deg F. What is the new power at the new resistance.

Homework Equations

R=V/I P=E/I R=L/A

P(T)=p0(1+a(t-t0)

Nichrome resistance 100e^-8 at 20 deg C Temp coefficient .0004

The Attempt at a Solution

I have the wattage for the original, I have the resistance at 1200deg F for 1 meter of wire. I just can not seem to get the right number for the wire length at 20deg C I keep coming up with like 15mm long but it is not right, when you use that length value with the resistance for 1200deg it is soooo far off.

I also tried 1*10^6/1=12/x to find the length and that does not work either and I do not have the wire area if I do it that way. I have gotten myself sooo confused trying to figure out this one part!

Physics news on Phys.org
Nichrome resistance 100e^-8 at 20 deg C Temp coefficient .0004
Was this given in the question? What units does it have?
My GUESS would be that it is the resistivity in ohm-meters and that you need to use a formula (entering the cross sectional area and length) to calculate the resistance.

Actually, you will calculate the resistance you require from the potential and current first, then enter that in the resistivity formula to find the length you need. If you don't have the resistivity formula, look up resistivity in Wikipedia.

Yeah it was in ohm/meters. I Believe I have figured out where I had it screwed up.

It ended up being 9.42 meters of wire to keep under 10 amps, and resistance at 635deg C was 7620 ohms which ends up being 2 watts. The resistance and the temp coefficient were in the book. Thanks! I will be more clear on the next one!

What is nichrome wire resistance?

Nichrome wire resistance refers to the measure of opposition to the flow of electric current in a nichrome wire. It is influenced by factors such as the length, cross-sectional area, and temperature of the wire.

Why is nichrome wire commonly used in resistance problems?

Nichrome wire is commonly used in resistance problems because it has a high resistance and can withstand high temperatures, making it suitable for use in electrical heating elements.

How is the resistance of nichrome wire calculated?

The resistance of nichrome wire can be calculated using Ohm's Law (R=V/I) where R is resistance, V is voltage, and I is current. The resistance can also be calculated using the formula R=ρL/A where ρ is the resistivity of the wire, L is the length, and A is the cross-sectional area.

What factors affect the resistance of nichrome wire?

The resistance of nichrome wire is affected by several factors including the length of the wire, the cross-sectional area of the wire, the material of the wire, and the temperature of the wire. An increase in length or temperature will result in an increase in resistance, while an increase in cross-sectional area will decrease resistance.

How can the resistance of nichrome wire be reduced?

The resistance of nichrome wire can be reduced by increasing the cross-sectional area of the wire, using a different material with a lower resistivity, or decreasing the length of the wire. Additionally, keeping the wire at a lower temperature can also reduce its resistance.