1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Nightmarish michelson interferometer question

1. May 31, 2006 #1
    We have to "closely spaced" frequencies f1 and f2. "The moving mirror moves at a constant speed v. Explain how the Doppler effect on the light reflected from the moving mirror affects the recorded signal as a function of time. Estimate the value of v required to resolve the freq. difference of 500 MHz between two modes of a laswe within a time of 0.1s."

I'm very confused about this. Under normal circumstances I'm pretty sure there is no moving mirror! I can only assume that the "closely" spaced frequencies are so closely spaced that they can't be resolved by the instrument, therefore we have to artificially introduce a doppler freq. shift in one of the components.
    I'm using the doppler shift formula from spec. rel. that shift in freq. = (v/c) * original frequency. Therefore surely v = 500MHz *c/f1
    or we could have used f2, as they are almost equal. I can't see how the time 0.1s comes into it. Thanks very much
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 1, 2006 #2

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Can you give us the whole problem? You are assuming we know what you are talking about here.

There is a doppler shift only if the mirror is moving relative to the source of the light. How do you get such motion in a Michelson interferometer? You need to clearly explain what it is you are talking about.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?