Nitrogen inflation of car tires

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
35 replies · 10K views
I could very well be wrong about that. It's just something that was lurking the in back of my brain.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I may be off base, here, but don't aircraft accumulate static charges just from moving through the air? Nothing to do with tires, etc, but the movement of air along the hull. They made a big deal about that in Hunt for the Red October, and Tom Clancy is usually a stickler for details.
 
Yeah, they do. Cars as well. There's just something about tire air that I must have heard or read somewhere a long time ago. I really have no idea where I got that idea.
 
turbo-1 said:
I may be off base, here, but don't aircraft accumulate static charges just from moving through the air? Nothing to do with tires, etc, but the movement of air along the hull. They made a big deal about that in Hunt for the Red October, and Tom Clancy is usually a stickler for details.
Indeed they do. If you get a chance to really look through an aircraft, you'll see tons of grounding straps on a lot of components, even control surfaces.

Helicopters also generate tremendous static build up.
 
FredGarvin said:
Helicopters also generate tremendous static build up.
The bit in Hunt ... is pretty accurate, one of the things you learn on a air-sea resuce course is never to grab hold of a basket being lowered by a helicopter, let the grounding straps touch the boat first.

I assumed that especially for WW2 era prop driven planes flying at lower altitudes through weather the static build up was bad and there was a risk of sparks when the wheels touched and so having them filled with an inflammable gas was a 'theoretical' safety feature.
 
mgb_phys said:
The bit in Hunt ... is pretty accurate, one of the things you learn on a air-sea resuce course is never to grab hold of a basket being lowered by a helicopter, let the grounding straps touch the boat first.

I assumed that especially for WW2 era prop driven planes flying at lower altitudes through weather the static build up was bad and there was a risk of sparks when the wheels touched and so having them filled with an inflammable gas was a 'theoretical' safety feature.
We would laugh a lot because every once in a while there would be someone who would be hooking up our external loads who would not use or improperly use their grounding straps. Most of the time it was a natural tendency of the person on the ground to think that they could grab one of the hooks and pull the helicopter over to where they were to make the hook up easier and faster.

Such pretty blue arcs...