NMOS Common source DC-bias and gain

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the DC and AC current and gain in a circuit with a current source. The problem is accurately defined and the calculations for ID and the AC gain are correct.
Waxterzz

Homework Statement

3PNOyHO.jpg

VOUT, they mean DC

Homework Equations

See picture, r0 is neglected also lambda (channel modulation)

The Attempt at a Solution

I calculate I DS with the formule given: 0.400*(0.5)²=0.1 mA

IOUT = 5/25000 = 0.2 mA

So the current source has got to be 0.1 + 0.2 = 0.3mA. Thats the DC current it has to be delivered right?

I also had to calculate the AC gain:

gm = K (VGS - VT) = 0.4mA/V

vin = vgs

vout / vgs = -gm * vgs * RD = -10This correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
If the thing in series with the +10V supply is indeed a current source labeled ID then you computed ID correctly.

A good first step is always to define the problem accurately.

You also have computed the ac gain correctly.

rude man said:
If the thing in series with the +10V supply is indeed a current source labeled ID then you computed ID correctly.

A good first step is always to define the problem accurately.

You also have computed the ac gain correctly.

Yes, I was also confused about the current source symbol. :) But it is one indeed.

Thanks for the confirmation that my calculations are correct.

1. What is NMOS common source DC-bias?

NMOS common source DC-bias refers to the circuit configuration of a NMOS transistor where the source terminal is connected to ground and the drain terminal is connected to a supply voltage. This biasing scheme allows for an output voltage to be produced at the drain terminal in response to changes in the input voltage at the gate terminal.

2. How is the DC gain of a NMOS common source amplifier calculated?

The DC gain of a NMOS common source amplifier can be calculated by dividing the output voltage by the input voltage. It can also be expressed as the ratio of the change in drain current to the change in gate-source voltage.

3. What factors affect the DC gain of a NMOS common source amplifier?

The DC gain of a NMOS common source amplifier is affected by the transistor's intrinsic gain, the value of the load resistor, and the transistor's physical parameters such as channel length and width. Additionally, variations in temperature and supply voltage can also impact the DC gain.

4. How does the DC biasing affect the performance of a NMOS common source amplifier?

The DC biasing of a NMOS common source amplifier determines the operating point of the transistor and can significantly impact its performance. An incorrect biasing scheme can result in distortion of the output signal and reduced DC gain. It is essential to choose appropriate DC biasing to achieve the desired performance from the amplifier.

5. What are some common applications of NMOS common source amplifiers?

NMOS common source amplifiers are commonly used in audio amplifiers, voltage regulators, and other electronic circuits that require amplification of a DC signal. They are also used in integrated circuits for digital logic gates and memory cells.