No Boundary Proposal: Overview, Criticisms & Probes

• I
  • Thread starter windy miller
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Boundary
In summary, the conversation is discussing the no boundary proposal and the difficulty of finding comprehensible explanations of it. The speaker suggests looking at Hawking's books and Penrose's "The Road to Reality" for a better understanding and possible criticisms of the model. However, they also mention that both sources can be challenging to follow. They then share a pedagogical note on quantum cosmology that they found helpful in understanding the concept.
windy miller
Any good places to go to get a better layman understanding of the no boundary proposal other than Hawking books? Id like to see what criticisms there are of the model, how has it evolved over time and is there any chance for experimental probes of it.

Space news on Phys.org
Maybe Penrose's "The road to reality"? I also find it hard to find comprehensible outlines of the model, but I can see that about a lot of topics in quantum cosmology :P

Thanks Ill have a look at that, but that's not an easy book to follow either!

I've looked extensively for a decent explanation of it, but it remains hard because quantum cosmology is very technical and there are a lot of unresolved mathematical issues with it. I'm trying to sum it all up for myself, so if I have a decent conceptual understanding I'll come back ;)

Likes vanhees71 and windy miller

FAQ: No Boundary Proposal: Overview, Criticisms & Probes

1. What is the No Boundary Proposal?

The No Boundary Proposal is a theory proposed by physicist Stephen Hawking in the 1980s. It suggests that the universe has no boundary in space or time, and therefore no beginning or end. According to Hawking, the universe originated from a singularity, but the laws of physics break down at this point, making it impossible to determine what came before.

2. What are some criticisms of the No Boundary Proposal?

One major criticism of the No Boundary Proposal is that it does not take into account the concept of causality. If the universe has no beginning, then it is difficult to explain how events are caused and how the universe came into existence. Another criticism is that the theory does not provide a concrete explanation for the origin of the universe and relies heavily on mathematical equations.

3. How does the No Boundary Proposal relate to the Big Bang Theory?

The No Boundary Proposal and the Big Bang Theory are not mutually exclusive. In fact, the No Boundary Proposal is considered an extension of the Big Bang Theory. While the Big Bang Theory suggests that the universe began from a singularity, the No Boundary Proposal suggests that the singularity itself does not have a beginning, thus providing a possible explanation for the origin of the universe.

4. What are some ongoing probes and experiments related to the No Boundary Proposal?

One ongoing probe related to the No Boundary Proposal is the search for gravitational waves. These ripples in space-time could provide evidence for the singularity predicted by the theory. Another probe is the study of cosmic microwave background radiation, which could potentially reveal information about the early stages of the universe and support the No Boundary Proposal.

5. How does the No Boundary Proposal impact our understanding of the universe?

The No Boundary Proposal challenges traditional notions of the universe having a definite beginning and end. It offers a new perspective on the origin and nature of the universe, and has led to further research and exploration in the field of cosmology. However, the theory is still highly debated and its implications are still being studied, so its impact on our understanding of the universe is still evolving.

Back