No FEMALE won the Nobel Prize in physics

In summary: Where's the problem? I don't see the fact that men and women are interested in different things as a "problem". Diversity is a good thing, which is why evolution gave us sexual reproduction in the first place.
drizzle said:
I'm serious to what delay women from achieving that prize in physics. They’ve been in the field long enough, yet not recognized as expected! What qualification/abilities/needs/whatever do men have that they don’t?

Have you considered the fact that few girls are interested in physics? If you were really asking why this is, that's a deep question about the anatomy of the human brain and its evolutionary history. I don't think many people, if any, can answer that question.

Physics news on Phys.org
ideasrule said:
Have you considered the fact that few girls are interested in physics? If you were really asking why this is, that's a deep question about the anatomy of the human brain and its evolutionary history. I don't think many people, if any, can answer that question.

There's also the given that grad school and post doc years for women coincide with prime time for being awarded one of http://cornerstork.files.wordpress.com/2008/05/crying_baby.jpg" . I am told that these special projects can be a real time-suck, and can distract from research.

Last edited by a moderator:
This reminds me of the thread we had a few months ago on why all the top sprinters are black. There are differences between men and women, and that's just that. Don't lose any sleep over it. No one complains that most nannies or nurses are women.

Lisa! said:
Look at it this way: she was very nice that she decided to share it with his husband!:tongue2:

Pierre Curie was not a mere hanger-on. Ever here of Curie temperature in ferromagnets? That's Pierre, not Marie.

Vanadium 50 said:
Pierre Curie was not a mere hanger-on. Ever here of Curie temperature in ferromagnets? That's Pierre, not Marie.
I know! I was just kidding:wink:

Vanadium 50 said:

Nonsense, Pierre couldn't even cross a street on his own.

Vanadium 50 said:

I never realized that, thanks. All the accounts I've read did describe him as something of a hanger-on...

arildno said:
Nonsense, Pierre couldn't even cross a street on his own.

:biggrin:

qspeechc said:
There are differences between men and women, and that's just that. Don't lose any sleep over it.

Possibly, but I find it hard to believe that this is the whole explanation. When I was an undergrad about 20% of the student in my class were women (this was at a technical university), but the same year about 55% of the students in chemistry were women (it was the first year they were in majority) and when they a couple of years later started a biotech program something like 80% of the students were women. As far as I remember the ratio was about the same among the PhD students. Chemistry and Physics are not THAT different.

Also, there were about 50 people in the department where I did my PhD, the majority were PhD student and of those only 3 were women. All three had the same advisor as me, and she just happened to be the only woman professor...

My point is that areas where there already are many women seems to attract even more women, and once you reach a "critical mass" the percentage of women tends to go up very quickly. Note also that some professions that are "typically male" can be "typically female" in another country, in e.g. Russia the medical profession underwent what is known as feminization after WWII and women have been in majority ever since (note that this refers to doctors, not nurses etc)

As an aside, it's worth mentioning that one other woman has won the Nobel in Physics: Maria Goeppert-Mayer, for the development of the theory of magic numbers in nuclear shell structure. (Shared, with her collaborator Jensen and with Eugene Wigner, in 1963.)

Susan Howson won the Adams prize (a Cambridge award) in 2002, as the first female.