No. of positive integral solutions of fractional functions

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
14 replies · 2K views
Physics lover
Messages
249
Reaction score
25
Homework Statement
Find no. of positive integral solutions of the equation
##\frac {xy} {x+y}=## ##2^4## ##3^5## ##5^4##
Relevant Equations
No. of positive integral solutions of linear equation=##^{n-1} C_ {r-1}##
I know how to find integral solutions of linear equations like x+y=C or x+y+z=C where C is a constant.
But I don't have any idea how to solve these type of questions.I am only able to predict that both x and y will be greater than 243554.Please help.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
haruspex said:
I would start by considering an arbitrary prime, p, and how often it divides each of x and y.
Can you please explain a little bit more.I am not able to make out what are you saying.
 
Physics lover said:
Can you please explain a little bit more.I am not able to make out what are you saying.
Suppose some prime p divides x m times, but no more, and divides y n times, but no more. Consider separately the cases of whether p is or is not one of 2, 3 or 5.
What can you say about m and n?
 
... but I think I see a much easier way.
Multiply out to get rid of the division, collect terms on one side leaving zero on the other, and think about algebraic factorisation.
 
haruspex said:
Suppose some prime p divides x m times, but no more, and divides y n times, but no more. Consider separately the cases of whether p is or is not one of 2, 3 or 5.
What can you say about m and n?
I think I got it.I wrote the xpression as-:
(x-##2^4####3^5####5^4##)(y-##2^4####3^5####5^4##)=##2^8####3^{10}####5^8##
And now I have to find the no. of divisors of this no.
Is it correct?
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: SammyS
Physics lover said:
I think I got it.I wrote the xpression as-:
(x-##2^4####3^5####5^4##)(y-##2^4####3^5####5^4##)=##2^8####3^{10}####5^8##
And now I have to find the no. of divisors of this no.
Is it correct?
Yes, but make sure you do not double count,
 
haruspex said:
Yes, but make sure you do not double count,
Can you check it please.I am getting 891 as my answer.
 
haruspex said:
Yes, but make sure you do not double count,
i think there will be no double counting here.
For example,consider a solution (x,y)=(a,b).
Now (x,y)=(b,a) will be considered a different solution,right?
 
Physics lover said:
i think there will be no double counting here.
For example,consider a solution (x,y)=(a,b).
Now (x,y)=(b,a) will be considered a different solution,right?
Yes, I would consider those different.

But, what if a = b ?
 
SammyS said:
Yes, I would consider those different.

But, what if a = b ?
yeah I forgot that.There's only one possibility for a =b.So 891-1=890.Is it correct now?
 
Physics lover said:
yeah I forgot that.There's only one possibility for a =b.So 891-1=890.Is it correct now?
No, that's the wrong way about. In your 891, you have only counted the factorisation (243554)2 once.
If you consider (a,b) to be a different solution from (b,a) when a and b are different then 891 is the answer. If you consider them the same you would halve, but add 1 first because you have not counted (a,a) twice: (891+1)/2=446.

It is not clear to me which the question wants. I would have guessed 446.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Physics lover
Physics lover said:
Homework Statement:: Find no. of positive integral solutions of the equation
##\frac {xy} {x+y}=## ##2^4## ##3^5## ##5^4##

Doesn't this need gcd(x,y) = 1? If (x,y) is a solution, so is (kx, ky) for all k.
 
willem2 said:
Doesn't this need gcd(x,y) = 1? If (x,y) is a solution, so is (kx, ky) for all k.
Umm... you might want to check that statement.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: SammyS
haruspex said:
No, that's the wrong way about. In your 891, you have only counted the factorisation (243554)2 once.
If you consider (a,b) to be a different solution from (b,a) when a and b are different then 891 is the answer. If you consider them the same you would halve, but add 1 first because you have not counted (a,a) twice: (891+1)/2=446.

It is not clear to me which the question wants. I would have guessed 446.
Thanks.I got it.
Your guess is wrong😀😀.The books gives 891 as the answer.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: SammyS