No. of positive integral solutions of fractional functions

In summary, the conversation discusses finding integral solutions for linear equations with constants and the use of prime numbers to determine the solutions. The question of whether to consider (a,b) and (b,a) as separate solutions is also raised. The final answer is 891 possible solutions, as determined by the book.
Physics lover
Homework Statement
Find no. of positive integral solutions of the equation
##\frac {xy} {x+y}=## ##2^4## ##3^5## ##5^4##
Relevant Equations
No. of positive integral solutions of linear equation=##^{n-1} C_ {r-1}##
I know how to find integral solutions of linear equations like x+y=C or x+y+z=C where C is a constant.
But I don't have any idea how to solve these type of questions.I am only able to predict that both x and y will be greater than 243554.Please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
I would start by considering an arbitrary prime, p, and how often it divides each of x and y.

haruspex said:
I would start by considering an arbitrary prime, p, and how often it divides each of x and y.
Can you please explain a little bit more.I am not able to make out what are you saying.

Physics lover said:
Can you please explain a little bit more.I am not able to make out what are you saying.
Suppose some prime p divides x m times, but no more, and divides y n times, but no more. Consider separately the cases of whether p is or is not one of 2, 3 or 5.
What can you say about m and n?

... but I think I see a much easier way.
Multiply out to get rid of the division, collect terms on one side leaving zero on the other, and think about algebraic factorisation.

haruspex said:
Suppose some prime p divides x m times, but no more, and divides y n times, but no more. Consider separately the cases of whether p is or is not one of 2, 3 or 5.
What can you say about m and n?
I think I got it.I wrote the xpression as-:
(x-##2^4####3^5####5^4##)(y-##2^4####3^5####5^4##)=##2^8####3^{10}####5^8##
And now I have to find the no. of divisors of this no.
Is it correct?

Last edited:
Likes SammyS
Physics lover said:
I think I got it.I wrote the xpression as-:
(x-##2^4####3^5####5^4##)(y-##2^4####3^5####5^4##)=##2^8####3^{10}####5^8##
And now I have to find the no. of divisors of this no.
Is it correct?
Yes, but make sure you do not double count,

haruspex said:
Can you check it please.I am getting 891 as my answer.

haruspex said:
i think there will be no double counting here.
For example,consider a solution (x,y)=(a,b).
Now (x,y)=(b,a) will be considered a different solution,right?

Physics lover said:
i think there will be no double counting here.
For example,consider a solution (x,y)=(a,b).
Now (x,y)=(b,a) will be considered a different solution,right?
Yes, I would consider those different.

But, what if a = b ?

SammyS said:
Yes, I would consider those different.

But, what if a = b ?
yeah I forgot that.There's only one possibility for a =b.So 891-1=890.Is it correct now?

Physics lover said:
yeah I forgot that.There's only one possibility for a =b.So 891-1=890.Is it correct now?
No, that's the wrong way about. In your 891, you have only counted the factorisation (243554)2 once.
If you consider (a,b) to be a different solution from (b,a) when a and b are different then 891 is the answer. If you consider them the same you would halve, but add 1 first because you have not counted (a,a) twice: (891+1)/2=446.

It is not clear to me which the question wants. I would have guessed 446.

Likes Physics lover
Physics lover said:
Homework Statement:: Find no. of positive integral solutions of the equation
##\frac {xy} {x+y}=## ##2^4## ##3^5## ##5^4##

Doesn't this need gcd(x,y) = 1? If (x,y) is a solution, so is (kx, ky) for all k.

willem2 said:
Doesn't this need gcd(x,y) = 1? If (x,y) is a solution, so is (kx, ky) for all k.
Umm... you might want to check that statement.

Likes SammyS
haruspex said:
No, that's the wrong way about. In your 891, you have only counted the factorisation (243554)2 once.
If you consider (a,b) to be a different solution from (b,a) when a and b are different then 891 is the answer. If you consider them the same you would halve, but add 1 first because you have not counted (a,a) twice: (891+1)/2=446.

It is not clear to me which the question wants. I would have guessed 446.
Thanks.I got it.
Your guess is wrong😀😀.The books gives 891 as the answer.

Likes SammyS

1. What are "positive integral solutions"?

Positive integral solutions are whole numbers that are greater than 0. They do not include fractions or decimals.

2. What is a "fractional function"?

A fractional function is a mathematical expression that contains a fraction, where the numerator and denominator are both polynomials.

3. How do you find the number of positive integral solutions of a fractional function?

To find the number of positive integral solutions of a fractional function, you can use the rational root theorem, which states that any rational root of a polynomial equation must be in the form of p/q, where p is a factor of the constant term and q is a factor of the leading coefficient. By testing these possible rational roots, you can determine the number of positive integral solutions.

4. Can a fractional function have an infinite number of positive integral solutions?

Yes, a fractional function can have an infinite number of positive integral solutions. This occurs when the function has a repeated factor in the numerator or denominator, resulting in multiple solutions for the same value of x.

5. Are there any other methods for finding the number of positive integral solutions of a fractional function?

Yes, there are other methods such as using the graphing calculator to graph the function and visually determining the number of positive integral solutions, or using the Descartes' rule of signs to estimate the number of positive integral solutions. However, the rational root theorem is the most common and efficient method for finding the exact number of positive integral solutions.