1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Node-voltage question

1. Sep 7, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Use the node-voltage method to calculate the power delivered by the dependent voltage source.

2. Relevant equations
    i1+i2+..in=0(KCL)
    i=v/R
    p=i*v
    3. The attempt at a solution
    I posted the solution below, but I'm going to post my own workings, based on just the circuit. I'm confused how they got their answer in the solution.

My workings:

v0-160/10Ω+i0/100Ω+150i0/50=0

I can reduce it to say i0*x=v0*x but I don't see how I could solve for either.

In their solution,they have (v0-150i0)/50 for the last part. Wouldn't it not be v0, since it's a different source?

Also, I have two unknowns, why did they only use one equation? I'm unsure of when I have to use one or two or more equations for node voltage questions. In this question, I felt like I would need two equations to solve it, but their solution only has one.

Attached Files:

• help.png
      help.png
      File size:
      10.6 KB
      Views:
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 7, 2014 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The equation is wrong. You miss parentheses. You need to have sum of currents, but what is i0/100Ω? In the middle branch, you have iσ current. The dependent voltage source has emf=150 iσ. The current in the branch on the right the current is io, not the same as iσ. io flows through the potential difference V0-150 iσ.

ehild

4. Sep 7, 2014 #3
    Okay, I understand it better since I last posted. My equation now is the same as the solution,

(v0-160)/10 + v0/100 + (v0-150iσ)/50=0

Once I reduce it to iσ=(-v0/100), how do you solve for iσ or v0? I have only one equation and two unknowns.

5. Sep 8, 2014 #4

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Substitute iσ=(-v0/100) into the first equation. One unknown remains: v0. Solve for v0, use the value to get iσ=(-v0/100).

ehild

6. Sep 8, 2014 #5
    Where does iσ=(-v0/100) come from? Is it because of the middle?

7. Sep 8, 2014 #6

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The downward current on the middle branch is v0/100. The upward current is denoted by iσ.

ehild

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted