Non-Academic employment after getting a PhD in Astrophysics?

In summary, - Graduate school in physics is hard, but worthwhile- You can find a job in observational astronomy, even if the job market is tough- Make sure you are passionate about the field you choose before starting graduate school.
1qaz2wsx3edc
Hi,

I'm a graduate student, one semester into a physics PhD. I'm still doing the core courses and haven't started the specialized courses yet, but I started wanting to become an astronomer. I was aware of the lack of jobs, and I wanted to do computational astronomy in particular, in the hope that I could write software or something if I fail to find a job in Astro. But it seems like I might have to settle for observational astronomy, considering the competition I'm up against.

What sort of non-academic jobs could I hope to get into after getting a PhD in Astrophysics? Both Astronomy related and not.

How does this compare with non-academic jobs in condensed matter?

Any advice?

It's not too late for me to change into condensed matter. But I like astronomy much more.

Physics news on Phys.org
eric948470 said:
I'm a graduate student, one semester into a physics PhD. I'm still doing the core courses and haven't started the specialized courses yet, but I started wanting to become an astronomer. I was aware of the lack of jobs, and I wanted to do computational astronomy in particular, in the hope that I could write software or something if I fail to find a job in Astro. But it seems like I might have to settle for observational astronomy, considering the competition I'm up against.

Don't worry about the lack of jobs. As long as you give up any hope of being a tenure-track professor at a research university, you won't have any problem of finding a job.

What sort of non-academic jobs could I hope to get into after getting a PhD in Astrophysics? Both Astronomy related and not.

You can go into investment banking like I did. There are lots and lots of things in the world that involve numerical modeling of parabolic partial differential equations.

How does this compare with non-academic jobs in condensed matter?

I think it's pretty much the same. Don't make a decision on what field of physics to go into based on career prospects unless it's a tiebreaker between fields that you feel equally passionate about. The problem with doing that is that getting a Ph.D. is a totally brutal process, and unless you are totally in love with what you are studying, you probably will not make it to the end.

twofish-quant said:
I think it's pretty much the same. Don't make a decision on what field of physics to go into based on career prospects unless it's a tiebreaker between fields that you feel equally passionate about. The problem with doing that is that getting a Ph.D. is a totally brutal process, and unless you are totally in love with what you are studying, you probably will not make it to the end.

To this I would add that "hot" fields can change over the period of time it takes to earn a PhD, so even if you start out in one direction because the job market is hot, that may not be the case when you graduate.

1. What types of non-academic jobs are available for someone with a PhD in Astrophysics?

There are many different types of non-academic jobs available for individuals with a PhD in Astrophysics. Some common options include working in research and development for technology companies, data analysis for government agencies, or consulting for businesses in the aerospace industry. Other possibilities include science writing, science communication, and science policy work.

2. How can I best market my PhD in Astrophysics to potential employers?

One of the best ways to market your PhD in Astrophysics to potential employers is to highlight the transferable skills you have gained during your academic training. These may include critical thinking, problem-solving, data analysis, and communication skills. It is also important to tailor your resume and cover letter to each specific job, emphasizing how your skills and experiences make you a strong candidate for that particular position.

3. Is it common for individuals with a PhD in Astrophysics to pursue careers outside of academia?

Yes, it is becoming increasingly common for individuals with a PhD in Astrophysics to pursue careers outside of academia. In fact, only a small percentage of PhD graduates in any field end up in tenure-track academic positions. With the growing demand for data-driven and analytical skills in various industries, individuals with a background in Astrophysics are highly sought after in the job market.

4. Do I need additional training or skills to be competitive in the non-academic job market?

While additional training or skills may be helpful, they are not always necessary to be competitive in the non-academic job market. Many employers value the critical thinking and problem-solving skills that individuals with a PhD in Astrophysics possess. However, if you are interested in a specific field or job that requires certain skills, it may be beneficial to gain additional experience or training in that area.

5. What resources are available to help me with my job search?

There are many resources available to help individuals with a PhD in Astrophysics with their job search. Some options include networking with professionals in your desired field, attending career fairs and conferences, utilizing job search websites and platforms, and connecting with career services at your university. Additionally, there may be specific organizations or societies for individuals with a background in Astrophysics that offer job listings and career advice.