1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics Non-Academic employment after getting a PhD in Astrophysics?

1. Dec 10, 2009 #1
    Hi,

I'm a graduate student, one semester in to a physics PhD. I'm still doing the core courses and haven't started the specialized courses yet, but I started wanting to become an astronomer. I was aware of the lack of jobs, and I wanted to do computational astronomy in particular, in the hope that I could write software or something if I fail to find a job in Astro. But it seems like I might have to settle for observational astronomy, considering the competition I'm up against.

What sort of non-academic jobs could I hope to get in to after getting a PhD in Astrophysics? Both Astronomy related and not.

How does this compare with non-academic jobs in condensed matter?

Any advice?

It's not too late for me to change in to condensed matter. But I like astronomy much more.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 11, 2009 #2
    Don't worry about the lack of jobs. As long as you give up any hope of being a tenure-track professor at a research university, you won't have any problem of finding a job.

You can go into investment banking like I did. There are lots and lots of things in the world that involve numerical modeling of parabolic partial differential equations.

I think it's pretty much the same. Don't make a decision on what field of physics to go into based on career prospects unless it's a tiebreaker between fields that you feel equally passionate about. The problem with doing that is that getting a Ph.D. is a totally brutal process, and unless you are totally in love with what you are studying, you probably will not make it to the end.

4. Dec 11, 2009 #3

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

To this I would add that "hot" fields can change over the period of time it takes to earn a PhD, so even if you start out in one direction because the job market is hot, that may not be the case when you graduate.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook