Non-Condensables In Refrigeration System

In summary, there is a debate among HVAC supertechs about the effect of non-condensables in a refrigeration system. One argument is that a sufficient quantity of non-condensables will circulate "around" the system, causing the liquid seal to be lost at the condenser outlet. The other argument is that, even with the presence of non-condensables, the excess refrigerant in the system will still provide a liquid seal. However, this issue is difficult to catch and can cause problems with the metering device, potentially leading to system failure. The best practice is to use standard procedures such as pulling vacuums and installing filter driers to avoid these issues.
Saturatedpsi
Got a debate going on with some HVAC supertechs...One contends a sufficient quantity of non-condensables in a refrigeration system (vapor compression & med/hi temp application) will circulate "around" the system. He's saying with the "sufficient quantity", the liquid seal will be lost at the condenser outlet. He's also qualified the operating conditions of the system as having high subcooling, which I'll translate as more than 10°.

So, if you start out with a system that would normally run 10° subcooling, then add some non-condensables (sufficient or otherwise), that eventually find their way to the condenser, how can they exit the condenser or affect the "liquid seal" created by the excess refrigerant, that provides the liquid seal in the first place? And assume the refrigerant hasn't reached "critical point" which I believe is a safe assumption for a beer cooler or residential A/C. :biggrin:

Thanks in advance for your time and thoughts. :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
I have found large amounts of non-condensables in two different systems in my career. It is the worst of all variables because it is out of the norm and difficult to catch in the act. It works sometimes is the electrical equivalent of a short circuit. The air or nitrogen will stop all progress at the metering device and then start working properly again at an undetermined time. An old timer taught me to blow the charge at the high point until liquid comes out similar to burping a radiator. That worked very well with a minimal loss of refrigerant. In the other case, I recovered the refrigerant and burped the air from the reclaim cylinder. Both systems worked for many years afterwards. This is why we pull vacuums and install filter driers. Both practices are part of standard procedure for good reason.

1. What are non-condensables in a refrigeration system?

Non-condensables, also known as non-condensable gases or air, are gases that are present in a refrigeration system that cannot be condensed into a liquid at normal operating conditions. These gases can include air, nitrogen, oxygen, and other trace gases.

2. How do non-condensables affect a refrigeration system?

Non-condensables can decrease the efficiency of a refrigeration system by reducing the heat transfer between the refrigerant and the surrounding air. This can lead to higher energy consumption and reduced cooling capacity. Non-condensables can also cause damage to the compressor and other components of the system.

3. How do non-condensables enter a refrigeration system?

Non-condensables can enter a refrigeration system through leaks in the system, during maintenance and repairs, or during the initial installation of the system. They can also enter through the refrigerant itself, as it can contain trace amounts of non-condensable gases.

4. How can non-condensables be removed from a refrigeration system?

The most common method for removing non-condensables from a refrigeration system is through purging. This involves using a purge unit to remove the non-condensables from the top of the condenser or receiver. Another method is to evacuate the system and recharge it with clean refrigerant.

5. How can the presence of non-condensables be prevented in a refrigeration system?

To prevent the entry of non-condensables in a refrigeration system, it is important to properly install and maintain the system to prevent leaks. It is also important to use high-quality refrigerant that is free from non-condensable gases. Regular purging and evacuation of the system can also help prevent the buildup of non-condensables.