Non-linear 2nd ODE involving squares of derivatives

In summary, the conversation involves a problem with a non-linear second-order ordinary differential equation where the independent variable is not explicitly mentioned. The suggestion is to consider the product rule and find a separable differential equation, or to substitute y' with u and solve for u to obtain a first-order equation.
iqjump123

Homework Statement

y''+(1/y)*(y')2=0

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

This is another problem I am having trouble with. I have done searches around the internet, but seen that all "non linear" ODE of second order involves a non linear form in a non differential term (like y''+xy^2=0, or something like that), instead of the DE term.

Punching through wolfram alpha gave a really simple straightforward answer, so I believe it shouldn't be too hard, as long as I get the general method to solve it.

thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
The question to ask might be, "Where have we seen something like this:

y'' + (1/y)*(y')2 = 0 ?"

We can see that y can't be zero, so let's multiply through by it to get

y y'' + (y')2 = 0 .

Now think about the Product Rule -- what is this the derivative of? You will then be led to a separable differential equation. (And I feel like I'm talking like a fortune cookie...)

A different hint, which can be applied to all second-order equations which do not contain the independent variable x explicitly: let be the independent variable y, and denote y'=u. Then

y''=u'=(du/dy)(dy/dx)=u (du/dy),

and you get a first-order equation for u.

ehild

What is a non-linear 2nd order ODE involving squares of derivatives?

A non-linear 2nd order ODE involving squares of derivatives is a type of differential equation where the second derivative of the dependent variable is raised to a power. This makes the equation non-linear, as the dependent variable is no longer directly proportional to its derivatives.

What is the general form of a non-linear 2nd order ODE involving squares of derivatives?

The general form of a non-linear 2nd order ODE involving squares of derivatives is:
y''n + f(x)y' + g(x)y = h(x)

What are some common techniques for solving non-linear 2nd order ODEs involving squares of derivatives?

Some common techniques for solving non-linear 2nd order ODEs involving squares of derivatives include substitution, integration by parts, and power series methods. Also, numerical methods such as Euler's method or the Runge-Kutta method can be used to approximate solutions.

What are some real-world applications of non-linear 2nd order ODEs involving squares of derivatives?

Non-linear 2nd order ODEs involving squares of derivatives have applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. For example, they can be used to model the motion of a pendulum, the behavior of electrical circuits, or the dynamics of a population.

What are the challenges of solving non-linear 2nd order ODEs involving squares of derivatives?

One of the main challenges of solving non-linear 2nd order ODEs involving squares of derivatives is that there is no general method that can be applied to all equations. Each equation may require a different approach and some equations may not have closed-form solutions at all. Another challenge is that non-linear equations can exhibit complex behavior, making it difficult to predict the behavior of the solution.