1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Non-linear 2nd ODE involving squares of derivatives

1. Aug 17, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

y''+(1/y)*(y')2=0

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

This is another problem I am having trouble with. I have done searches around the internet, but seen that all "non linear" ODE of second order involves a non linear form in a non differential term (like y''+xy^2=0, or something like that), instead of the DE term.

Punching through wolfram alpha gave a really simple straightforward answer, so I believe it shouldn't be too hard, as long as I get the general method to solve it.

thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 17, 2011 #2

dynamicsolo

Homework Helper

The question to ask might be, "Where have we seen something like this:

y'' + (1/y)*(y')2 = 0 ?"

We can see that y can't be zero, so let's multiply through by it to get

y y'' + (y')2 = 0 .

Now think about the Product Rule -- what is this the derivative of? You will then be led to a separable differential equation. (And I feel like I'm talking like a fortune cookie...)

4. Aug 17, 2011 #3

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

A different hint, which can be applied to all second-order equations which do not contain the independent variable x explicitly: let be the independent variable y, and denote y'=u. Then

y''=u'=(du/dy)(dy/dx)=u (du/dy),

and you get a first-order equation for u.

ehild

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook