Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Non-relativistic limit of the Lagrangian

1. Feb 21, 2016 #1
    Why does the following Lagrangian not have the correct non-relativistic limit? It is correct except for the derivative of proper time with respect time. But that factor goes to 1 so why is the expression wrong?

## L = -(\frac{1}{2}mu^{\mu}u_{\mu} + qu^{\mu}A_{\mu})\frac{d\tau}{dt} ##

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 21, 2016 #2

stevendaryl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Could you write down what you think is the non-relativistic limit?

4. Feb 22, 2016 #3

haushofer

Science Advisor

Here,

http://arxiv.org/abs/1206.5176?context=hep-th

such a limit is taken (page 7). The coupling to the gauge field here is however to cancel a divergent term, associated to the rest energy of the particle. How does it differ from your calculation? And as Steven indicates, what do you mean by 'non-relativistic limit'?

5. Mar 16, 2016 #4
    I think the relativistivictic limit should be the expression above, but only what is inside the parenteses, still with the minus sign there. That is the classical expression for the lagrangian.

6. Mar 18, 2016 #5
    i.e., why is the lagranian in my first post not covariant?

7. Mar 18, 2016 #6

haushofer

Science Advisor

It is not covariant because it contains an explicit time derivative on tau. You can check directly, by performing an explicit coord.transfo., that such a term does not transform covariantly. The terms within parentheses are covariant.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted