Are All Waves Sinusoidal, or Are There Non-Sinusoidal Waveforms?

• Thread starter jmatejka
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Waveforms
In summary: Yes, if the sin/cos part of the function is used only for periodicity, the wave itself can still be non-sinusoidal.
jmatejka
I have experience with wave mechanics from a undergrad perspective, Modern Physics, etc.

I saw the statement the other day, "All waveforms are sinusoidal". I believe this to be not 100% correct.

Texts usually show a "nice" looking sine wave for most things "wave". I believe this is the starting point, for something that is usually more complex.

In the most simple terms, the up and down motion of any wave could be called "sinusoidal" correct?

From EE, I am aware of artificailly generated, Square, Triangle and Sawtooth Waveforms.

Would you say "most" waves, light, water, or otherwise are sine with added "harmonics" or funcitons?

Wiki seems to say there "IS" non-sinusoidal waves:

"Examples of non-sinusoidal waveforms include square waves, rectangular waves, ramp waves, triangle waves, spiked waves and sawtooth waves."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-sinusoidal_waveform

Would you call these "piecework" function waves?

Any "naturally occurring" examples of non-sinusoidal waves?

Impossible for light waves to be non-sinusoidal, correct?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well I think you'd only create a sinusoidal wave in a taut string if you're moving your hand like a harmonic oscillator; for example instead of moving it as such, pause your hand for a few seconds every time you're at the "top": I don't think you'll see a sinusoidal wave anymore. (I'm seeing something in my head which looks like a sinusoidal wave with at each positive extremum a piece of a straight line copy-pasted into it.)

mr. vodka said:
Well I think you'd only create a sinusoidal wave in a taut string if you're moving your hand like a harmonic oscillator; for example instead of moving it as such, pause your hand for a few seconds every time you're at the "top": I don't think you'll see a sinusoidal wave anymore. (I'm seeing something in my head which looks like a sinusoidal wave with at each positive extremum a piece of a straight line copy-pasted into it.)

At the point your hand stops moving, would it become like a guitar string, still sinusoidal with nodes?

Here is a picture of the string:

Attachments

• non-snie.gif
    non-snie.gif
    2.2 KB · Views: 757
"I have experience with wave mechanics from a undergrad perspective, Modern Physics, etc.

I saw the statement the other day, "All waveforms are sinusoidal". I believe this to be not 100% correct.
"

Yes and no.

Why it is a totally incorrect statement:
If it was meant by "sinusoidal" that the every wave can be represented by a single sinus function, then it is wrong. It is also wrong that every wave phenomenon can be written as a finite sum of cosine and sine waves.

However:
The set of sines and cosines form a mathematically complete set of functions, so that any function is representable by a, usually, infinite series of sines&cosines.

This, however, cannot defend the use of "sinusoidal" as descriptive of wave shapes in general, then we could equally well call all waves, say, "polynomial", since the polynomials also represent a mathematically complete set of functions.

Thus, I agree with you, although I'd say the statement is 0% correct, rather than "not quite 100%" correct.

It's somewhat true.

If you've taken courses in signal analysis you might be aware of Fourier Analysis, which is a topic in mathematics where you can represent general functions in terms of sums of trigonometric functions.

If you look at a square wave, for instance, you can visually create that wave by adding phase and amplitude shifted sine waves together, widening the troughs and flattening the peaks in the wave.

arildno said:
"I have experience with wave mechanics from a undergrad perspective, Modern Physics, etc.

"

Yes and no.

Why it is a totally incorrect statement:
If it was meant by "sinusoidal" that the every wave can be represented by a single sinus function, then it is wrong. It is also wrong that every wave phenomenon can be written as a finite sum of cosine and sine waves.

However:
The set of sines and cosines form a mathematically complete set of functions, so that any function is representable by a, usually, infinite series of sines&cosines.

This, however, cannot defend the use of "sinusoidal" as descriptive of wave shapes in general, then we could equally well call all waves, say, "polynomial", since the polynomials also represent a mathematically complete set of functions.

Thus, I agree with you, although I'd say the statement is 0% correct, rather than "not quite 100%" correct.

Thanks, agreed.

I have been looking at some "funcitons for Non-Sinusoidal waveforms:, here:

http://www.elect.mrt.ac.lk/EE201_non_sinusoidal_part_1.pdf

Although, "Non-Sinusoidal", they have Sin or Cos in their function to achieve Periodicity where applicable.

Sooooo, if the Sin/Cos part of the function is used only for Periodicity, the "wave itself", can still be Non-Sinusoidal, Correct?

mr. vodka said:
Here is a picture of the string:

Thanks for the pic!

Niznar said:
It's somewhat true.

If you've taken courses in signal analysis you might be aware of Fourier Analysis, which is a topic in mathematics where you can represent general functions in terms of sums of trigonometric functions.

If you look at a square wave, for instance, you can visually create that wave by adding phase and amplitude shifted sine waves together, widening the troughs and flattening the peaks in the wave.

Create the Non-Sinusoidal function from modified Sinusoidal functions, interesting. Thanks!

Almost a semantics game at somepoint maybe?

What are non-sinusoidal waveforms?

Non-sinusoidal waveforms are electrical signals that do not follow a typical sinusoidal shape. They can have a variety of shapes and frequencies, and are often used in electronic devices and power systems.

What are some examples of non-sinusoidal waveforms?

Some common examples of non-sinusoidal waveforms include square waves, triangular waves, sawtooth waves, and pulse waves. These waveforms can be created by combining different frequencies and amplitudes of sine waves.

Why are non-sinusoidal waveforms important?

Non-sinusoidal waveforms are important because they allow us to generate and manipulate different types of electrical signals for various applications. They are also used in the analysis and measurement of electronic circuits and systems.

How are non-sinusoidal waveforms different from sinusoidal waveforms?

As the name suggests, the main difference between non-sinusoidal and sinusoidal waveforms is their shape. Sinusoidal waveforms have a smooth, repetitive curve, while non-sinusoidal waveforms have more complex and irregular shapes. Additionally, sinusoidal waveforms have a single frequency, while non-sinusoidal waveforms can have multiple frequencies.

What are some challenges in working with non-sinusoidal waveforms?

Working with non-sinusoidal waveforms can present some challenges, as they can be more difficult to analyze and manipulate compared to sinusoidal waveforms. They also require more complex circuitry and equipment to generate and measure. Additionally, non-sinusoidal waveforms can cause distortion and interference in electronic systems if not properly managed.