Non-slip condition for inviscid fluids

In summary, the conversation discusses the validity of the non-slip condition for inviscid fluids. The lack of friction in inviscid fluids raises confusion about the existence of a non-slip condition. It is clarified that there is only a no penetration condition in inviscid flow.
mech-eng
Hi, I would like to ask that whether or not ## non-slip condition## is valid for inviscid fluids. We know that inviscid fluids there is no friciton. If there is no friction in the inner surface of pipe (I do not name its technical name) so it seems that there cannot be the non-slip condition. This confuses me. Would someone like to explain it?

Thank you.

Engineering news on Phys.org
If there is no friction, why has to be a non-slip condition, what will create non-slip condition if there is no fricition?

Thank you.

And I have did: number sign non-slip condition number sign but "condition" joined to "slip" in my first post in this thread. what was wrong in using LateX?

Thank you.

There is no "no slip" condition in inviscid flow. Only the no penetration condition exists.

1. What is a non-slip condition for inviscid fluids?

The non-slip condition for inviscid fluids is a boundary condition that states that the fluid immediately adjacent to a solid boundary has a velocity of zero relative to the boundary. This means that the fluid molecules in direct contact with the boundary do not move, while the fluid further away from the boundary can have varying velocities.

2. Why is the non-slip condition important in fluid dynamics?

The non-slip condition is important because it allows us to model the behavior of fluids near solid boundaries. Without this condition, fluids would slip along the boundaries, which would significantly alter the flow patterns and make it difficult to accurately predict the behavior of the fluid.

3. Is the non-slip condition always valid for all types of fluids?

No, the non-slip condition is only valid for inviscid fluids, which are fluids that have no internal friction or viscosity. In real-world scenarios, most fluids have some level of viscosity, so the non-slip condition is an idealized assumption used in simplified fluid dynamics models.

4. How does the non-slip condition affect the flow of a fluid around an object?

The non-slip condition creates a boundary layer of slow-moving fluid molecules near the surface of an object, while the fluid further away from the object can move at higher velocities. This boundary layer can significantly impact the overall flow patterns and drag forces experienced by the object.

5. Can the non-slip condition be violated in any situations?

Yes, in certain situations, the non-slip condition may be violated, such as at very small length scales or in high-speed flows. In these cases, the fluid molecules near the boundary may have enough energy to overcome the frictional forces and slip along the boundary, leading to deviations from the non-slip condition and altered flow patterns.