Non-Uniform Circular Motion Problem

In summary: From the question, it is implied that tangential acceleration does not change; it is the centripetal or radial acceleration that increases as the car speeds up.
creechur

Homework Statement

A car starts from rest on a curve with radius 150m, with an acceleration of 1.8 m/s2. How many revolutions will the car make before the magnitude of its acceleration is 2.40 m/s2?

Homework Equations

at2 + ar2 = total acceleration2

theta = omega (t) + .5 (acceleration) (t)2

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved for velocity by plugging in v2/ R into the acceleration triangle equation. Then I solved for "t" by dividing my velocity by the acceleration and got 15 m/s for velocity and 8.3 seconds for time. I plugged that into the position equation and got 62.5 radians, divided by 2pi and got 9.95 revolutions. That was wrong - tips please?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
This equation is incorrect,
creechur said:
theta = omega (t) + .5 (acceleration) (t)2
If we look at the dimensions we find that,

[θ] = 1 (i.e. dimensionless)
[ωt] = T-1T = 1 (i.e. dimensionless)
[at2] = LT-2T2 = L (i.e. a length)

Do you know any rotational kinematic equation? (They are analogous to the linear kinematic equations).

Hootenanny said:
This equation is incorrect,

If we look at the dimensions we find that,

[θ] = 1 (i.e. dimensionless)
[ωt] = T-1T = 1 (i.e. dimensionless)
[at2] = LT-2T2 = L (i.e. a length)

Do you know any rotational kinematic equation? (They are analogous to the linear kinematic equations).
I presume he meant angular acceleration, [tex]\alpha[/tex] by "acceleration" in the equation though?
The problem with using that equation is that the angular acceleration of the car is not constant, depending on the velocity of the car at any given time.

Fightfish said:
I presume he meant angular acceleration, [tex]\alpha[/tex] by "acceleration" in the equation though?
The problem with using that equation is that the angular acceleration of the car is not constant, depending on the velocity of the car at any given time.
Perhaps the OP did mean angular acceleration. However, a constant tangential acceleration implies that the angular acceleration is also constant, since the two are directly proportional.

Hootenanny said:
Perhaps the OP did mean angular acceleration. However, a constant tangential acceleration implies that the angular acceleration is also constant, since the two are directly proportional.
Oh right, must have confused angular acceleration and centripetal acceleration for a moment there :(
That's probably what creechur must've done too.

I don't think I would bother with rotational kinematics for this question though, the relation arc length traveled s = vt, where v is the tangential velocity along with translational kinematics should suffice.

Last edited:
I did mean angular acceleration by the "a" in my equation, I just don't know how to make the symbols. If the approach I have taken isn't correct, what else would you do?

Consider the linear distance traveled by the car during the period. In one revolution, the car would have transversed a distance of [tex]2 \pi r[/tex]. Thus, the number of revolutions can be obtained.

How do you take into account the change in acceleration?

creechur said:
How do you take into account the change in acceleration?
From the question, it is implied that tangential acceleration does not change; it is the centripetal or radial acceleration that increases as the car speeds up. Didn't you assume that when you solved for the final velocity as well?

What is non-uniform circular motion?

Non-uniform circular motion is a type of motion in which an object moves along a circular path at varying speeds. This means that the object's velocity and acceleration are constantly changing, even though it is moving in a circular path.

What causes an object to undergo non-uniform circular motion?

An object undergoes non-uniform circular motion when there is a net force acting on it that is not directed towards the center of the circular path. This force, known as the tangential force, causes the object to speed up or slow down as it moves along the circular path.

How is non-uniform circular motion different from uniform circular motion?

In uniform circular motion, the object moves at a constant speed along the circular path, meaning that its velocity and acceleration are both constant. In non-uniform circular motion, the object's speed, velocity, and acceleration are all changing as it moves along the circular path.

How do you calculate the tangential and centripetal accelerations in a non-uniform circular motion problem?

To calculate the tangential acceleration, you can use the formula at = dv/dt, where v is the object's tangential velocity and t is time. To calculate the centripetal acceleration, you can use the formula ac = v2/r, where v is the object's tangential velocity and r is the radius of the circular path.

What are some real-world examples of non-uniform circular motion?

Some common examples of non-uniform circular motion include a car going around a curve, a rollercoaster going through loops, and a merry-go-round with varying speeds. Other examples can include planets orbiting around the sun or satellites orbiting around Earth.