Non-uniform line charge density with r not constant

In summary: For a spiral line, we replace q with r \lambda and integrate. To do this, we need to replace r \lambda with something with r \phi in it; I'll leave the details up to you. We replace r with your formula for r.Can I fix your formulas too? V = k \int_{\Omega} \frac{\rho(\mathbf{r'})}{||\mathbf{r} - \mathbf{r'}||} dr'Which would specifically be V = k \int_l \frac{\lambda(\mathbf{r'})}{||\mathbf{r} - \mathbf{r'}||} dr
bravo340

Homework Statement

We have a non uniform line charge density [tex]P_{l}[/tex] = [tex]\rho_{l}[/tex] cos[tex]\phi[/tex]

It is a spiral line where 0 [tex]\leq[/tex] [tex]\phi[/tex] [tex]\leq[/tex] 4 [tex]\pi[/tex]

It is on the x-y plane with z=0.

r varies: r ( [tex]\phi[/tex] ) = [tex]\phi[/tex] * [tex]r_{0}[/tex] + a

We need to find the Potential and Electric Field at the origin.

Homework Equations

V = (KQ/r)

E = (KQ)/ r[tex]^{2}[/tex]

E = -[tex]\nabla[/tex]V

The Attempt at a Solution

The east way would be to find the Potential and then to find the Electric Field by using the relationship between E and the gradient of V.

I think this problem wouldn't be as tough if r was constant.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
So are you going to use a line integral? I suggest cylindrical coordinates.

Also, I don't know what phi is, the polar angle or some constant? Oh, nevermind I see where r is bounded. You still need to show some work before you get any help.

Last edited:
I've tried it, and I have gotten to the point where I have an integral that determines the potential at this point. Here's how I got this far:

For a bunch of separate point charges, we have

[tex]V = \sum {\frac {-1}{4 \pi \epsilon_{o} } \frac {q_i}{r_i} }[/tex]
where I've replaced [tex]\rho_l[/tex] with [tex]\lambda[/tex] to make things easier for me. (Sometimes [tex]\rho[/tex] denotes the radial distance.)

For a line, we replace [tex]q[/tex] with [tex]d \lambda[/tex] and integrate. To do this, we need to replace [tex]d \lambda[/tex] with something with [tex]d \phi[/tex] in it; I'll leave the details up to you. We replace [tex]r[/tex] with your formula for [tex]r[/tex].

Can I fix your formulas too?

[tex] V = k \int_{\Omega} \frac{\rho(\mathbf{r'})}{||\mathbf{r} - \mathbf{r'}||} d\gamma'[/tex]

Which would specifically be

[tex] V = k \int_l \frac{\lambda(\mathbf{r'})}{||\mathbf{r} - \mathbf{r'}||} dl'[/tex]

for a line charge.

1. What is non-uniform line charge density with r not constant?

Non-uniform line charge density with r not constant refers to a situation where the electric charge along a line or wire is not evenly distributed and varies with distance from the source of the charge. This means that the charge per unit length (charge density) is not constant and changes as you move along the line.

2. How is non-uniform line charge density with r not constant different from a uniform line charge?

A uniform line charge has a constant charge density, meaning that the amount of charge per unit length remains the same regardless of the distance from the source. On the other hand, non-uniform line charge density with r not constant has a varying charge density along the line, resulting in a non-uniform electric field and potential.

3. What factors can cause non-uniform line charge density with r not constant?

There are several factors that can lead to non-uniform line charge density with r not constant, such as the shape and material of the wire, external electric fields, and the presence of other charges nearby. These factors can influence the distribution of charges along the line and cause the charge density to vary.

4. How is the electric field affected by non-uniform line charge density with r not constant?

The electric field is affected by the non-uniform line charge density with r not constant because the electric field is directly proportional to the charge density. This means that a varying charge density will result in a non-uniform electric field, with stronger fields where the charge density is higher and weaker fields where the charge density is lower.

5. How can non-uniform line charge density with r not constant be calculated?

To calculate the electric field and potential for a non-uniform line charge with r not constant, one must use integral calculus. The charge density is typically expressed as a function of distance along the line, and the integrals are used to find the electric field and potential at a given point. Alternatively, computer simulations can be used to model and calculate the electric field and potential for more complex non-uniform line charges.