Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Nonelementary Integral Related Question

1. Oct 31, 2014 #1
    Recently, I have looked into nonelementary integrals and I have a question.

When looking at ∫sin(sinx)dx, which I know cannot be represented as an elementary function, I wondered what the function would look like. Using mathematica, I was able to get a graph of f(x)=∫0xsin(sinx)dx. Does the represent the same function as ∫sin(sinx)dx? And more importantly, why? (Sorry about the bad formating for limits of integration)

Edit: From what I've seen, it is if and only if the function g(x)=∫sin(sinx)dx is 0 at x=0. If this was true, then how would one go about proving if g(0)=0 or not?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 31, 2014 #2

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You have one integral with limits 0 and x and another integral without limits. You need to clarify the relationship.

4. Oct 31, 2014 #3
    I am asking about the relationship between the two. The edit was from what I've seen from posts on here but I don't know if that's the relationship (may be incorrect or I may have interpreted the posts incorrectly).

Edit: Looked one of the posts over again.
    In this case: f(x)=g(x)-g(0)
    So still it depends on if g(0) is 0 or not.
    If g(0)=0 then f(x)=g(x) if not then f(x)=g(x)+c where c=-g(x)
    Is this thought process correct?

Last edited: Oct 31, 2014
  5. Oct 31, 2014 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Yes, but the question does not make sense. It is like asking about the relationship between x and 3.
    An integral without limits does not have a value, an integral with limits does.

6. Oct 31, 2014 #5
    Okay let me clarify. I'm defining a function f(x) such that f(x)=∫0xsin(sinx)dx. This is no different than saying f(x)=∫0xsin(sin(t))dt since the variable in the function that the integral is being taken of is basically just a dummy variable, so t would be more clear. For example ∫0xsin(sint)dt=g(x)-g(0). So as an example, f(1)=∫0 1sin(sin(t))dt=g(1)-g(0) which IS a value. Anyways I guess by having to explain it both here and the edit, I figured out the answer to my question.

See the error function to see an example of a similarly defined function.

7. Oct 31, 2014 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

[tex]\int sin(sin(x))dx[/tex] is NOT a single function. It is a "family" of functions, all differing by numbers, not functions of x. [tex]\int_0^x sin(sin(x))dx[/tex] is one of those functions.

8. Oct 31, 2014 #7
    Yeah, I figured it out when explaining it to the other posters.

I did want some confirmation though, so thanks for the confirmation!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook