Nonequilibrium Thermodynamics Request

In summary, the conversation is about the use of LaTeX to take notes on Donald Fitts' Nonequilibrium Thermodynamics. The intention is to use other resources to add more to the notes, particularly focusing on the solid side of the subject. Fitts' book covers classical fluid nonequilibrium thermodynamics and includes chapters on various topics such as hydrodynamic equations, transport equations, and chemical reactions. The individual is seeking recommendations for other books to use as additional sources.
megatyler30
I've started using LaTeX to take notes on Donald Fitts' Nonequilibrium Thermodynamics. After I finish, I intend to use other resources to add more to it. Fitts' book focuses on classical fluid nonequilibrium thermodynamics (i.e. doesn't use statistical mechanics but instead uses continuum methods and additional postulates such as assumption of local equilibrium, fluxes are linear, homogeneous functions of forces, and the Onsager's reciprocal relation).

To give you an idea of what Fitts contains I'll list the chapters: The System, The Hydrodynamic Equations, The Assumption of Local Equilibrium, The Phenomenological Relations, The Transport Equation, The Transport of Heat, Electrochemical Systems, Diffusion in Isothermal Systems, Thermal Diffusion, Sedimentation and Centrifugation, Chemical Reactions.

Essentially I want to find another book that could be used as another source and/or one that focuses on the solid side of it so I can add that to the notes.

Physics news on Phys.org

1. What is Nonequilibrium Thermodynamics?

Nonequilibrium Thermodynamics is a branch of thermodynamics that deals with systems that are not in a state of thermodynamic equilibrium. It studies the transport of energy and matter in systems that are far from equilibrium, and how these systems evolve over time.

2. What is the difference between Nonequilibrium and Equilibrium Thermodynamics?

The main difference between Nonequilibrium and Equilibrium Thermodynamics is that Nonequilibrium Thermodynamics deals with systems that are not in a state of thermodynamic equilibrium, while Equilibrium Thermodynamics deals with systems that are in a state of thermodynamic equilibrium. In Equilibrium Thermodynamics, the system is at a stable state and there is no net flow of energy or matter, whereas Nonequilibrium Thermodynamics deals with systems that are constantly changing and exchanging energy and matter with their surroundings.

3. What are some examples of Nonequilibrium Thermodynamic systems?

Some examples of Nonequilibrium Thermodynamic systems include living organisms, weather systems, and chemical reactions. Living organisms are constantly exchanging energy and matter with their environment to maintain their internal processes, while weather systems are constantly changing and exchanging energy with their surroundings. Chemical reactions also involve the exchange of energy and matter, and can occur in both equilibrium and nonequilibrium conditions.

4. How is Nonequilibrium Thermodynamics applied in real-world situations?

Nonequilibrium Thermodynamics has many practical applications in various fields, such as biology, chemistry, and engineering. It is used to study biological processes such as metabolism and cellular transport, as well as chemical reactions and industrial processes. In engineering, Nonequilibrium Thermodynamics is applied to improve energy efficiency and optimize processes in various systems, such as engines and power plants.

5. What are the implications of Nonequilibrium Thermodynamics in understanding the universe?

Nonequilibrium Thermodynamics plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior and evolution of the universe. It helps explain the formation and evolution of stars, galaxies, and the universe as a whole. It also provides insights into the origin of life and the complexities of biological systems. By studying nonequilibrium systems, scientists can gain a better understanding of how the universe and everything in it has evolved and continues to change over time.