1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Nonhomogeneous difference equation question

1. May 9, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the general solution

2. Relevant equations
    x(t+2)-3x(t+1)+2x(t)=3*5^t+sin(0.5πt)

3. The attempt at a solution
    I start out by solving the homogeneous equation and end up with the two roots 1 and 2.

Then I try to use the method of undetermined coefficients to find a particular solution.

I guess that the solution is of the following form (I should probably include a cos term as well)

u(t)=C*3*5^t+D*sin(0.5πt)

then

u(t+1)=C*3*5^(t+1)+D*sin(0.5π(t+1))

and

u(t+2)=C*3*5^(t+2)+D*sin(0.5π(t+2))

I then insert these equations into the original equation to get

C*3*5^(t+2)+D*sin(0.5π(t+2))-3*(C*3*5^(t+1)+D*sin(0.5π(t+1)))+2*(C*3*5^t+D*sin(0.5πt))=3*5^t+sin(0.5πt)

move the terms around a bit to get

3*5^t(C*5^2-3*C*5+2*C)+D*sin(0.5π(t+2)-3*D*sin(0.5π(t+1))+2*D*sin(0.5πt)=3*5^5+sin(0.5πt)

From the first part I see that

(C*5^2-3*C*5+2*C)=1

so

C=1/12

I would like to do something similar for the sin part of the expression, but I'm not sure how to handle it.
    I tried with sin(0.5π(t+2))=sin(0.5πt+π)=-sin(0.5πt) but then I don't know what to do with sin(0.5(t+1)).

If anyone has any hints, tips or tricks I would be happy.

I hope the equations are understandable otherwise I'll post them as a picture.

Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. May 9, 2012 #2

sharks

Gold Member

Is this your original equation? It doesn't look like a non-homogeneous ODE to me.
    [tex]x(t+2)-3x(t+1)+2x(t)=3(5^t)+sin(0.5πt)[/tex]
    I just noticed in your title you call it a "difference equation" and not "differential equation", in which case, i might have misunderstood the problem.

4. May 9, 2012 #3
    I just realized I can do subscripts. The original problem is this:

xt+2-3xt+1+2xt=3(5t)+sin(0.5πt)

Yeah it's a difference equation so we only have discrete moments of time.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook