1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Nonhomogeneous Equations; Method of Undetermined Coefficient

1. Feb 14, 2010 #1
    I'm stuck on just one problem.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2y'' + 3y' + y = t2 + 3sin(t)

2. Relevant equations

It says in the lesson that if you have a polynomial, guess a solution is

"Yi(t)= Ts(A0tn + A1tn-1 + .......... + An)

where s is the smallest nonnegative integer (s=0,1, or 2) that will ensure that no terms in Yi(t) is a solution of the corresponding homogeneous equation."

And I don't really understand that jargon. Maybe someone could dumb it down for me.

3. The attempt at a solution

Since the solution is the sum of two different functions, t2 and 3sin(t), I can solve the differential equation for each individually, and them add them together at the end since the sum of the solutions to a differential equation is also a solution.

I got the solution to
    2y'' + 3y' + y = 3sin(t).

It is Y1(t) = (-3/10)sin(t) -(9/10)cos(t)

But Y2(t) is giving me trouble.

I guessed Y2(t) = A0t2 + A1t + A2 but ended up with a system equations that still had t in it; thus I couldn't solve it.

Set me on the right track.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 14, 2010 #2

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

Just take your PI as

y=A+Bt+Ct2+Dsint+Ecost

then sub that into the different equation and equate coefficients.

4. Feb 14, 2010 #3
    I already tried that, bro.

Does

ring a bell?

5. Feb 14, 2010 #4

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

Sorry, I was used to doing the two together and not separately. Well just substitute y=A0+A1t+A2t2 into the equation. the coefficients of t and the constant on the right side would just be zero.

Though when doing the undetermined coefficient method, I find it best to solve for the homogeneous solution first.

6. Feb 14, 2010 #5

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

Then show us exactly what you did. Putting that into the left side will give a quadratic and you can set coefficients of corresponding terms equal. (If there is no "corresponding" term on one side, its coefficient is 0.)

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook