1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Nonlinear Dynamics: Nullclines and phase plane of a nonlinear system

1. Oct 30, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the fixed points and classify them using linear analysis. Then sketch the nullclines, the vector field, and a plausible phase portrait.

dx/dt = x(x-y), dy/dt = y(2x-y)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

f1(x,y) = x(x-y)

x-nullcline: x(x-y) = 0 [itex]\Rightarrow[/itex] x = 0

f2(x,y) = y(2x-y)

y-nullcline: y(2x-y) = 0 [itex]\Rightarrow[/itex] y = 0

Fixed point: (0,0)

J(x,y) =

(2x-y -x )
    (2y 2x-2y)

Therefore,

J(0,0) =

(0 0)
    (0 0)

Thus,

0 = |J(0,0) - λI| = (-λ)(-λ) = λ2 = 0 [itex]\Rightarrow[/itex] λ1,2 = 0

Now this is where I get stuck; I have no idea where to go from here when λ1 = λ2 = 0.

I would really appreciate at least a little nudge in the right direction. Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 31, 2011 #2
    There are some cases where linearization fails to capture the dynamics of a non-linear system near it's fixed points and I think one case is when the eigenvalues are zero. Need to check out a good reference like "Differential Equations" by Blanchard Hall and Devaney. Also, whenever working on these types of problems, in my opinion, it is essential to have a CAS like Mathematica to help you with it unless you like to suffer. Now unfortunately you can't use StreamPlot with Wolfram Alpha but if you could find a machine at school running Mathematica, you could very easily answer three of the questions with the code:

Show[{StreamPlot[{x^2 - x y, 2 x y - y^2}, {x, -1, 1}, {y, -1, 1}],
    Plot[{x, 2 x}, {x, -1, 1}, PlotStyle -> Thickness[0.008]]}]

I don't know how to classify the fixed-point at the origin but if I had to say something, I would say it's some type of sink. Maybe someone else can help us further.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 31, 2011
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook