1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Nonlinear Regression Curve Fitting

1. Aug 16, 2015 #1
    This isn't a precise homework question, but this seemed like the most reasonable place to post. If not, please feel free to move it.

I have a large set of data points that should fit to a known equation (the Drude-Smith model for conductivity)

The equation the data should fit to is: σ(ω) = (ε0ωp2τ)/(1-iωτ) * [1+Σ(cn)/(1-iωτ)].

I have all of the data, so I have hundreds of data points for σ(ω). I need to have values for other fitting parameters, namely ωp, cn, and τ. To make it solvable, I figure I can do some algebra on the above equation to split it into real and imaginary components, then let ωp be constant. Then, I technically have 2 "equations" (1 real 1 imaginary)and 2 "unknowns" (cn and τ). However, I am unsure how to fit this. Any help would be appreciated.

Note: I will be using MATLAB.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 16, 2015 #2

Student100

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Did you start with the mathworks website? http://www.mathworks.com/help/stats/nonlinear-regression-1.html

Do you already have any code written?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted