Nonuniform Acceleration - Radio Waves Effect on Ionosphere Electron

In summary: So, yes, you are correct that a0 = 0, but that doesn't mean that a(t) (the acceleration as a function of time) is zero. Instead, it is just the amplitude of the sinusoidal function.In summary, the acceleration of an electron under the influence of an electric field given by E(t) = E0sinωt is a(t) = (-eE0/m)sinωt. The amplitude of this function is a0 = (-eE0/m), which is derived from the expression for the acceleration as a function of time.
Inklings
Hi,

Reading through an Introductory Mechanics Textbook, I don't understand a part of an example on Nonuniform Acceleration - The effect of a Radio Wave on an Ionosphere Electron.

I've attached the link.

Can someone please explain how:

a0 = (-eE0/m)sinωt

By my reasoning,

since at t=0, sinωt = sin0 = 0
∴ a0 = 0

Thanks heaps in advance,
Sofia :)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't see the link. Maybe try again?

Welcome to PF Inklings (or Sofia, actually!),

There is no link attached. I will make some assumptions about what is going on in your example. If the electric field is given by the function:

E(t) = E0sinωt

Then, the acceleration is F/m = (qE)/m, where q is the charge that the field is acting on. In the case of an electron, q = -e, and we have for the acceleration as a function of time:

a(t) = -eE/m = (-eE0/m)sinωt

Now, we know that under a sinusoidal force, the acceleration will be sinusoidal as well, so we can write it in the general form a(t) = a0sinωt where a0 is the amplitude. *By comparison* with the expression for a(t) above, we conclude that a0 = (-eE0/m).

This makes sense. The amplitude (max value in either direction) of the acceleration is just the amplitude (max value) of the force, divided by the mass.

The problem in your original post was that you mistakenly had the factor of sinωt in your expression for a0.

1. How do radio waves affect the electron density in the ionosphere?

Radio waves have a heating effect on the ionosphere, causing the electrons to become more energetic and move faster. This results in an increase in electron density in the ionosphere.

2. What causes nonuniform acceleration of electrons in the ionosphere?

The nonuniform acceleration of electrons in the ionosphere is primarily caused by variations in the Earth's magnetic field. This creates regions of high and low electron density, leading to nonuniform acceleration.

3. How do scientists study the effect of radio waves on the ionosphere electron density?

Scientists use instruments such as ionosondes, which send radio waves into the ionosphere and measure the time it takes for the waves to be reflected back to Earth. This data can then be used to determine the electron density in the ionosphere.

4. What impact does nonuniform acceleration of electrons have on radio communications?

The nonuniform acceleration of electrons in the ionosphere can cause fluctuations in the propagation of radio waves, leading to disruptions in radio communications. This is known as ionospheric scintillation.

5. Can nonuniform acceleration of electrons in the ionosphere be predicted?

While it is not possible to predict the exact behavior of the ionosphere, scientists use models and data from previous observations to make predictions about nonuniform acceleration. However, these predictions may not always be accurate due to the complex nature of the ionosphere.