1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

NONUNIFORM Vol. Charge Density - V at the center of sphere

1. Feb 13, 2007 #1
    This should be easy, but for some odd reason I am not getting the right answer.

Assuming the potential V=0 at infinity, what is the V at the center of a sphere with volume charge density rho(r) = rho_0 * R/r

I keep getting (integral from 0 to R K*(4*pi*rho_0)*R/2) which I dont think is right.

Does anyone have any hints which will help me out here?
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 13, 2007 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Your integrand is constant? That's not good. Unfortunately you didn't post enough of your work for me to have any idea of where you are going wrong. I think you want to use the homework form as well.
  4. Feb 13, 2007 #3
    I did the problem again, now I have: V_0 = k*Q/R = k*4*pi*rho_0*R^2/2 = rho_0*R^2/(2*epsilon_0)

Can anyone confirm if I did this right?
  5. Feb 13, 2007 #4
    Try finding the spherical E in terms of charge density using Gauss's Law. Then integrate that in terms of dr from R to 0
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?