NONUNIFORM Vol. Charge Density - V at the center of sphere

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 6K views
JamesTheBond
Messages
17
Reaction score
0
This should be easy, but for some odd reason I am not getting the right answer.

Assuming the potential V=0 at infinity, what is the V at the center of a sphere with volume charge density rho(r) = rho_0 * R/r

I keep getting (integral from 0 to R K*(4*pi*rho_0)*R/2) which I don't think is right.

Does anyone have any hints which will help me out here?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Your integrand is constant? That's not good. Unfortunately you didn't post enough of your work for me to have any idea of where you are going wrong. I think you want to use the homework form as well.
 
I did the problem again, now I have: V_0 = k*Q/R = k*4*pi*rho_0*R^2/2 = rho_0*R^2/(2*epsilon_0)

Can anyone confirm if I did this right?
 
Try finding the spherical E in terms of charge density using Gauss's Law. Then integrate that in terms of dr from R to 0