1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Normal modes of Mass and two Spings

1. Feb 24, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Consider a mass M whose motion is confined to a flat, smooth two-dimensional surface. Label the locations in this surface using the Cartesian coordinates (x, y). The mass is attached to two identical springs, each of length ℓ and spring constant k. One spring has one of its ends fixed to the point (-L, 0) and the other spring has one of its ends fixed to the point (L, 0). Find the normal modes of this system when ℓ < L.

2. Relevant equations

F=ma , T =-kx

3. The attempt at a solution

Well first I've my goal is to find the EOM of the system then plug in the solution to the EOM to find the normal modes. Since ℓ < L , then the springs are stretched in equilibrium and provide constant tension of T = -2k(L- ℓ). Taking into account when the mass is displaced a distance x from equilibrium also provides additional tension T = -2kx. Therefor my EOM is

ma = -2k(L- ℓ) + (-2kx)

However when I plug in a solution of the form x(t) = Acos(wt) it doesnt seem easy to solve.
    Can someone please tell me if I am on the right track and if my EOM is correct?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 25, 2010 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

You also need to consider motion in the vertical direction.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook