Normal to parameterised surface

In summary, the homework statement states that the surface between two vectors is (e^u, (v^2)*(e^(2u)), 2e^(-u) +v). The surface is in the plane and has two points, (1,4,0) and (-4, -2, 0). The homework asks for help with finding the normal to the surface at (1,4,0). The student has found the normal to the surface by finding the vector derivative of "(u,v)" with respect to u and v and taking the cross product of those two vectors. The student has also determined the point (1,4,0) and the points (-4, -2, 0
cos(e)

Homework Statement

surface : $(u,v) is (e^u,(v^2)*(e^(2u)),2e^(-u) +v)
0<=u<=3 -4<=v<=4
find a normal in terms of u and v
write down a double integral for the surface(dont solve)
find equation of tangent plane to surface at (1,4,0)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea where to start

any help please?

Physics news on Phys.org
Given two vectors, what is one easy way to get a vector normal to both?

cross product

Can you find two non-collinear vectors tangent to the surface at a single point? Since both vectors are tangent, their cross-product should point normal to the surface.

ok got the first part thanks, now for the area, i know in the double integral has |J| in it somehow, how wuld i find it. I know from a mate u can do |Tu X Tv|, but i don't think we learned this, and i was wondering how wuld u do this by using jacobians, if possible.

im confused coz we abs(del(x,y,z)/del(u,v)| and i don't know how to solve this

One very good way to do all three of those questions is to find the "fundamental vector product". To do that, you find the vector derivatives of "$(u,v)" with respect to u and v and take the cross product of those two vectors.

The derivative vectors are, of course, tangent vectors to the "coordinate curves" v= constant and v= constant at each point and so lie in the tangent plane at each point. Therefore, their cross product is normal to the tangent plane and so to the surface at that point. Further, the length of that vector is the Jacobian (it is the |Tu x Tv| you mention). And, of course, if you know a normal at a point, it is easy to write down the equation of the tangent plane at that point.

By the way, have you determined u and v for the point (1, 4, 0)?

the points are u=0 and v=-2, so is the tangent plane is Tu(0,2)*(u-0)+Tv(0,2)*(v-2)=0

What is a normal to parameterised surface?

A normal to parameterised surface is a vector that is perpendicular to a point on the surface. It is used to describe the direction of the surface at that particular point.

Why is it important to have a normal to parameterised surface?

Having a normal to parameterised surface is important because it allows us to determine the orientation of the surface and its behavior at a given point. This information is crucial in understanding the surface's properties and how it interacts with other surfaces or objects.

How is a normal to parameterised surface calculated?

A normal to parameterised surface is calculated using partial derivatives of the surface's parameterization. These derivatives are used to find the tangent vectors in the u and v directions, which are then cross multiplied to obtain the normal vector.

What is the relationship between a normal to parameterised surface and its curvature?

The normal to parameterised surface is directly related to the surface's curvature. The magnitude of the normal vector indicates the rate of change of the surface, while its direction shows the direction of the curvature at that point.

How does a normal to parameterised surface affect surface shading in computer graphics?

In computer graphics, a normal to parameterised surface is used to calculate the lighting and shading of a 3D object. By knowing the orientation of the surface at each point, the computer can determine how light should interact with it, creating a realistic and visually appealing image.