1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Normalization of a delta function in curved spacetime

1. Aug 23, 2008 #1
    Which of the following are true in curved spacetime?

[itex]\int d^4 x \delta^4(x - x_0) = 1[/itex] (1)

[itex]\int d^4 x \sqrt{-g} \delta^4(x - x_0) = 1[/itex] (2)

I think the first one is incorrect in curved spacetime, or in general when the metric is non-constant. I would argue this by saying that the delta function does not transform, whereas the fourth-order differential transforms in the opposite way to [itex]\sqrt{-g}[/itex], so the whole thing transforms as a scalar as it must.

I've also heard that [itex]\delta^4[/itex] is not a scalar, which suggests that (1) is the correct statement. However, this seems strange to me as I would think that (1) will fail to hold in curvilinear coordinates e.g.

2. jcsd
  3. May 14, 2011 #2
    actually the right difinition is
    [tex]\int_M F(x^{\mu})[\frac{\delta^{(4)}(x^{\sigma}-y^{\sigma})}{\sqrt{-g}}]\sqrt{-g}d^4x=F(y^{\sigma})[/tex]

4. May 15, 2011 #3

Bill_K

Science Advisor

The delta function is a scalar density. You don't need curved space or four dimensions to see this, it follows from the identity δ(f(x)) = (1/|f '(x0)|) δ(x-x0) where f(x0) = 0. For example δ(3x) = (1/3) δ(x). Or take plane polar coordinates: δ(x) ≡ δ(x) δ(y) = (1/r) δ(r) δ(Θ).

Last edited: May 15, 2011
  5. May 15, 2011 #4

haushofer

Science Advisor

I'd say that

[itex]\int d^4 x \delta^4(x - x_0) = 1[/itex]

is the usual definition. The RHS is trivially a scalar. The measure on the LHS is a density. So the delta distribution is also a density, as was mentioned by others here.

You can "tensorize" the delta distribution by defining

[tex]
    \delta^4(x - x_0) \rightarrow \frac{\delta^4(x - x_0) }{\sqrt{g}}
    [/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?