1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Normalization of a pair distribution function

1. Feb 18, 2016 #1
    Hi,

i'm performing a simulation about this potential http://motion.cs.umn.edu/PowerLaw/
    I calculated the radial distribution function succesfully but i don't know how these guys are normalized the other pair distribution function, as a function of time to collision.

Could anyone help me?

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 19, 2016 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

These guys do everything with the proportional to sign ##\propto##, and they use arbitrary units (or don't mention units at all), so that's going to be difficult. Could you specify what you did to calculate the radial distribution function succesfully and what you meant with that statement ? I, for one, have no idea what it means if g(r) = 5 at r = 0.5 m (fig 1, top).

4. Feb 20, 2016 #3
    BvU,
    first thanks to answering me.

i'm performing the same simulation with Python programming language.
    The radial distribution function has been determined by calculating the distance between all particle pairs and binning them into a histogram. The histogram is then normalized with respect to an ideal gas. For two dimensions, this normalization is the number density of the system multiplied by the area enclosed between two circles with radius determined by two consecutives bins.

My issue is about the other pair distribution function (time to collision).
    I need to know how they are normalized the function because i calculated the time to collision and binning them into a histogram but my results are wrong.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook