Normalization of Radial wavefunction of hydrogen atom

In summary: The normalization coefficient normalizes the wavefunction with respect to ρ, whatever the function f(ρ) is. So you can multiply by (-1)^{2l+1}, and that will still satisfy the associated Laguerre differential equation.
Arafat Sagar
All I need to evaluate the normalization coefficient. I need a step by step guide. It will be a great help if someone please tell me where can i get the solution (with intermediate steps). I think the solution can be done using the orthogonal properties of associated Laguerre polynomial. I need the steps. Thanks.

Attachments

• NormHydRad.png
    NormHydRad.png
    4.6 KB · Views: 5,373
Physics news on Phys.org
thanks a lot. the book contains the solution. but i still have one more confusion. the radial wavefunction (normalized) in the book has a minus sign. but i found many places where the minus sign has not been included. though the probability density requires the mod square of ψ, i want to know the shape of ψ. hence, what is the real value of it? should i include minus sign?

Attachments

• radWavfunc.png
    radWavfunc.png
    10 KB · Views: 971
Wavefunctions are always uncertain up to a phase. So you can multiply the wavefunction by -1, or in fact by any number of the form exp(i * phi) where phi is any real value, without changing any observables.

i have an equation,
f(ρ) = [itex]\rho^{l+1}[/itex][itex]e^{-\rho}[/itex][itex]\upsilon(2\rho)[/itex]

i want to transform it to the following multiplying only the right hand side with [itex](-1)^{2l+1}[/itex][itex](2)^{l+1}[/itex],
f(ρ) = [itex](-1)^{2l+1}[/itex][itex](2\rho)^{l+1}[/itex][itex]e^{-\rho}[/itex][itex]\upsilon(2\rho)[/itex]

is it possible?

i want to use [itex](2\rho)^{l+1}[/itex] instead of [itex]\rho^{l+1}[/itex], because, the normalization coefficient normalizes with respect to ρ whatever the the function f(ρ) is. and [itex](2)^{l+1}[/itex] is not a function of ρ.

i want to multiply by [itex](-1)^{2l+1}[/itex], because i found that if the associated Laguerre polynomial is [itex]AL^{2l+1}_{n+l}(x)[/itex]=[itex]\frac{d^{2l+1}}{dx^{2l+1}}[/itex][itex]L^{}_{n+l}(x)[/itex]. now, in some places, i found A=1 and other places [itex]A=(-1)^{2l+1}[/itex]. besides, is it something related to Condon-Shortley Phase factor?
as after multiplyng by anything which is not a function of [itex]\rho[/itex] will still satisfy the associated laguerre differential equation, can i do this multiplication of [itex](-1)^{2l+1}[/itex][itex](2)^{l+1}[/itex]? thanks.

Last edited:

1. What is the purpose of normalizing the radial wavefunction of a hydrogen atom?

The purpose of normalizing the radial wavefunction is to ensure that the probability of finding the electron in any given location is equal to 1. This is necessary for accurate calculations and to comply with the laws of quantum mechanics, which state that the total probability of all possible outcomes must equal 1.

2. How is the normalization constant for the radial wavefunction of a hydrogen atom determined?

The normalization constant is determined by integrating the square of the radial wavefunction over all space. This integral is solved using techniques from calculus and the resulting value is used to scale the radial wavefunction to make it normalized.

3. What is the significance of the normalization constant in the radial wavefunction of a hydrogen atom?

The normalization constant represents the amplitude of the wavefunction and is essential for calculating probabilities and understanding the behavior of the electron in the hydrogen atom. It also ensures that the wavefunction is physically meaningful and in compliance with the principles of quantum mechanics.

4. Can the normalization of the radial wavefunction be applied to other atoms besides hydrogen?

Yes, the normalization of the radial wavefunction can be applied to other atoms with similar wavefunctions, such as the helium atom. However, the specific values for the normalization constant will differ depending on the specific atom and its unique wavefunction.

5. How does the normalization of the radial wavefunction affect the energy of the electron in a hydrogen atom?

The normalization of the radial wavefunction does not directly affect the energy of the electron in a hydrogen atom. However, by ensuring that the wavefunction is normalized, the energy levels and probabilities of the electron's location can be accurately calculated and understood.