Radial wave function in H atom

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty in finding detailed explanations about normalization and orthogonal properties of radial functions. The problem is that Laguerre associated polynomials do not directly apply and textbooks on quantum mechanics may not explain it correctly. Suggestions for references and textbooks that cover these topics are given, including "Quantum Mechanics" by L. Schiff, "Pauling and Wilson" from 1935, and "Bethe and Salpeter" from 1957. It is also mentioned that the generalized Laguerre polynomials are not orthonormal without applying a weighting function. The conversation ends with a recommendation for "Mathematical Methods for Physics and Engineering" as a helpful reference for these functions.
facenian
helo can someone tell me where I can find detailed explanation about normalization and orthogonal properties of the radial functions since the books I've been reading do not explain enough, I thought Laguerre associated polynomials resolved the problem directly but this is not the case, the weighting function do not come up correctly and the integration variable are different in the two polynomials appearing in the integral,

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
strange; any textbook on quantum mechanics should explain this correctly

tom.stoer said:
strange; any textbook on quantum mechanics should explain this correctly

For intance, Griffiths sends you for details to L. Schiff, Quantum Mechanics(1968) a book no longer evailable in Amazon.
The problems are: 1) Normalization constant. Normalization of Laguerrre associated polynomials do not apply directly to this case and 2) Orthogonalization. We Know that [itex]\int R_{nl}(r)R_{ml}(r)r^2 dr=0,\,\,n\neq m [/itex] however othogonalization of Laguerre polynomials do not apply directly either

Try Pauling and Wilson from 1935 by Dover and possibly reprinted since then. Also Bethe and Salpeter (1957), if available. They give all the details for your questions.

Attachments

• Hydrogen_Wave_Functions_2.nb
    17.4 KB · Views: 549
dextercioby said:
Try Pauling and Wilson from 1935 by Dover and possibly reprinted since then. Also Bethe and Salpeter (1957), if available. They give all the details for your questions.
ok, thanks. I bought Bethe's form Amazon at a good price.

phyzguy said:
I think the normalization given on the Wikipedia page below is correct. Also, attached is a Mathematica notebook which verifies this normalization for n=1,2,3.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrogen_atom

My problem is that I want to actually calculate the normalization constant and also I want to know why they are orthonormal and as I said before Laguerre polynomial's theory do not answer this

Last edited:
Try looking for a math textbook that deals with the so-called "special functions": Bessel, Legendre, Laguerre, hypergeometric, etc. I used such a textbook in an "Intermediate Differential Equations" course in graduate school about thirty years ago. Unfortunately, I don't remember the book's title or author.

jtbell said:
Try looking for a math textbook that deals with the so-called "special functions": Bessel, Legendre, Laguerre, hypergeometric, etc. I used such a textbook in an "Intermediate Differential Equations" course in graduate school about thirty years ago. Unfortunately, I don't remember the book's title or author.

"Mathematical methods for physics and engineering" has a chapter dedicated to these functions. I would also recommend this book as the essential maths reference book to anyone taking a degree in a related area (maths, physics, engineering etc).

Edit: make sure you get the latest edition (if you're going to buy it) of course

Related to Radial wave function in H atom

1. What is the radial wave function in a hydrogen atom?

The radial wave function in a hydrogen atom is a mathematical function that describes the probability of finding an electron at a specific distance from the nucleus. It is a part of the overall wave function that describes the behavior of the electron in three-dimensional space.

2. How is the radial wave function derived?

The radial wave function is derived from the Schrödinger equation, which is a mathematical equation that describes the behavior of particles at the atomic level. It takes into account the attractive force between the electron and the nucleus, as well as the electron's kinetic energy.

3. What does the radial wave function tell us about the electron in a hydrogen atom?

The radial wave function provides information about the probability of finding the electron at a certain distance from the nucleus. It also tells us about the energy levels and wave properties of the electron, such as its angular momentum and spin.

4. How does the radial wave function change with increasing energy levels?

As the energy level increases, the radial wave function becomes more spread out and the probability of finding the electron at a larger distance from the nucleus increases. This is because higher energy levels correspond to larger orbits for the electron in the hydrogen atom.

5. Can the radial wave function be used to predict the exact location of an electron in a hydrogen atom?

No, the radial wave function can only give us the probability of finding an electron at a specific distance from the nucleus. It cannot predict the exact location or trajectory of the electron, as it follows the principles of quantum mechanics which involve inherent uncertainty.