Normalization problem; volume element to use?

In summary: DIn summary, Alfred is revising his quantum mechanics course and is having trouble with a normalizing problem involving the function ψ = N r cos θ e-r/a0. His teacher's solution manual uses spherical coordinates with θ and φ in the opposite order to what Alfred is used to. After some discussion with other users, Alfred is able to solve the problem using a u-substitution method.
adh2
Hello!

Homework Statement

I'm revising my quantum mechanics course, but I don't get this normalizing-problem. [itex] \psi = N r cos \theta e^{-r/a_0} [/itex]

To begin with, this is how my teacher solves it in the solutions manual:

[itex] 1=N^2\int_0^\infty r^2 e^{-r/a_0} r^2 dr \int_0^{\pi} \int_0^{2 \pi} cos^2\theta sin\theta d\theta d\phi [/itex]
So:
[itex] N^2 = \int_0^\infty r^4 e^{-r/a_0} dr \cdot 2 \pi \cdot \frac{2}{3}
= \frac{4 \pi}{3} 4! a_0^5
[/itex]
Et cetera..

The Attempt at a Solution

When I tried to solve it I write the second part of the integral like this:
[itex]

\int_0^{2 \pi}\int_0^{\pi} cos^2\theta sin\phi d\theta d\phi

[/itex]
Here the problem is obvious. I say [itex]sin\phi[/itex], but my teacher says [itex]sin\theta[/itex]. As I assume my teacher is the one who's correct, why isn't it [itex] sin\theta [/itex]? I mean, the volume element when going from cartesian coordinates to spherical is [itex] dV= r^2 sin\phi drd\phi d\theta [/itex], right?

Not that it makes my answer any more like my teachers, but this is how i continue:
[itex]
\int_0^{2 \pi} cos^2\theta d\theta \int_0^{\pi} sin\phi
= \frac{1}{2} \left[\theta + sin\theta cos\theta\right]_0^{2 pi} \left[-cos\phi \right]_0^{\pi}
= \left\{\frac{1}{2}\left(2 \pi + o\right) - \frac{1}{2}\left(0 + o\right)\right\} \left\{1-0\right\}
= \pi ...
[/itex]
Thank you for your time,
Alfrededit: forgot an N^2

Physics news on Phys.org
I mean, the volume element when going from cartesian coordinates to spherical is dV=r2sinϕdrdϕdθ, right?

Nope. It's r2sinθdrdϕdθ. See for example: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spherical_coordinate_system under the section "Integration and differentiation in spherical coordinates"

Hello Alfred! :smile:
adh2 said:
… Here the problem is obvious. I say [itex]sin\phi[/itex], but my teacher says [itex]sin\theta[/itex]. As I assume my teacher is the one who's correct, why isn't it [itex] sin\theta [/itex]? I mean, the volume element when going from cartesian coordinates to spherical is [itex] dV= r^2 sin\phi drd\phi d\theta [/itex], right?

I think your teacher is using spherical coordinates with θ and φ the other way round from you.

(mathematicians do it one way, physicists do it the other)

The θ in cos2θ is measured from pole to pole isn't it? Well, the sin in the volume element has to be measured the same way. :wink:

It's the sine of whichever variable has integration limits from 0 to 2π.

I your teacher's solution it should be (and is) sin(θ) .

It is not used consistently in your expressions. (in your attempt ta a solution)

SammyS said:
It's the sine of whichever variable has integration limits from 0 to 2π.

no, 0 to π :wink:

Thank you, that makes more sense! I just assumed there was a standard. In my calculus textbook by R A Adams the integration element used is with sin phi. But indeed, a closer look in my physical chemistry book (Atkin's Physical Chemistry) and I see he uses sin theta! :D

I also thought the limits on the first integral sign always referred to the last d(variable), ( [itex] \int_{a_1}^{a_2}\int_{b_1}^{b_2} function \, db da [/itex]) but apparently that's not the case here :P

However, I still can't solve it. [itex] \int_0^{2\pi} d\phi [/itex] gives the [itex]2\pi[/itex]. But the rest doesn't work out to [itex] \frac{2}{3} [/itex]:

[itex] \int_0^{\pi} cos^2 \theta sin \theta d \theta = \left\{ as \, \int_a^b U(x) dV(x) dx = \left[U(x)V(x)\right] - \int_a^b V(x)dU(x) dx \right\} [/itex]

[itex]
= \left[-cos^2\theta cos\theta\right]_0^{\pi} - \int_0^\pi \left(\frac{1}{2} \theta + \frac{1}{2} cos\theta sin\theta\right) \left(-cos\theta\right) d\theta [/itex]

[itex] = 2 + \left( \frac{1}{2} \int_0^\pi \theta cos\theta d\theta + \frac{1}{4} \int_0^\pi sin 2\theta cos\theta d\theta \right)[/itex]

[itex]
= 2 +

\frac{1}{2}\left( \left[ sin\theta \theta^2 1/2 \right]_0^\pi - \int_0^\pi 1 sin\theta d\theta \right)

+\left( \frac{1}{4} \int_0^\pi sin 2\theta cos \theta d\theta
\right)
[/itex]
[itex]
=2 + \frac{1}{2} \left( 0 - 2 \right) + \frac{1}{4} \left(\frac{4}{3}\right)

=\frac{7}{3} \neq \frac{2}{3}
[/itex]
In the last step I use:
[itex]
\int_0^\pi sin mx \, cos nx \, dx = \stackrel{0 \,if\, m, n \, integers; m+m \, even}{\frac{2m}{ m^2+n^2} \,if\, m, n \, integers; m+n \, odd}
[/itex]

Many steps; can you see which one is wrong? :S

Hello Alfred! :smile:

I don't understand where you got 1/2 θ from in your https://www.physicsforums.com/library.php?do=view_item&itemid=199" :confused:

it should have gone ∫ cos2θsinθ dθ = -cos2θcosθ - ∫ 2cos2θsinθ dθ …

but a u-subsitution would have been more sensible. :redface:
adh2 said:
I also thought the limits on the first integral sign always referred to the last d(variable), ( [itex] \int_{a_1}^{a_2}\int_{b_1}^{b_2} function \, db da [/itex]) but apparently that's not the case here :P

You're right, it should do so.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Tim! :)
That's from [itex] \int cos^2 \theta = \frac{1}{2} \left(\theta + sin \theta cos \theta\right) [/itex]?

U-substitution. My calculus-skills are somewhat rusty, so that didn't seem like a possibility. But of course you're right!

[itex] \int_a^b f\left(g\left(x\right)\right)g'\left(x\right) dx
= \int_{g\left(a\right)}^{g\left(b\right)} f\left(t\right) dt, t=g\left(x\right)
[/itex]

[itex]
f\left(t\right) = t^2 , t = cos \theta; g'\left(x\right) = -sin \theta
[/itex]

[itex]
\int_0^\pi cos^2 \theta sin \theta d \theta = - \int_{cos 0}^{cos \pi} u^2 du

= \left[ \frac{1}{3} u^3 \right]_{1}^{-1}

= -\left( \frac{-1}{3} - \frac{1}{3} \right) = \frac{2}{3}
[/itex] ! :D

Wow. Much simpler. I always get exactly this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXW02XmBGQw" (- the last few seconds..) when I solved a difficult math-problem.

Thank you very, very much Tim!

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is normalization in the context of volume elements?

Normalization is the process of adjusting a volume element's size to make it comparable to other volume elements. This is necessary when working with different units or scales, and ensures that the volume element can be accurately compared or integrated with others.

2. Why is normalization important in scientific research?

Normalization is important because it allows for fair comparisons between different data sets. Without normalization, differences in units or scales could skew the results and make it difficult to draw meaningful conclusions.

3. How do you determine which volume element to use for normalization?

The volume element used for normalization will depend on the specific research question and the data being analyzed. It should be chosen to accurately represent the data and ensure that comparisons can be made effectively.

4. Can you provide an example of normalization in scientific research?

One example of normalization is when studying the effects of different drugs on cell growth. The volume element used for normalization could be the number of cells, as this would allow for accurate comparisons between different treatments.

5. Are there any potential issues with normalization?

Yes, there can be potential issues with normalization, such as choosing an inappropriate volume element or not fully considering all factors that could affect the data. It is important to carefully consider the normalization process and its implications for the research being conducted.