1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Not a specific problem, just some help with the one step subgroup test

1. Mar 12, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    i just don't really get the one step subgroup test, which is very important, and something i should understand. can someone walk me through in general how to use the test? maybe give me a simple example? thanks.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 12, 2010 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Here's a simple example. Let G be the integers with addition as the operation. Let H be the subset of G consisting of the multiples of 3. In G, the [additive] inverse of x is -x.

To show H is a subgroup by that test you must show that if x and y are in H, then x + (-y) is in H.

x in H says x = 3m for some m in G and y in H says y = 3n for some n in G. The inverse of y is then -3n so the expression x + (-y) is just

3m + (-3n) = 3(m + (-n)), using the usual rules. This is a multiple of 3 and therefore in H. So H is a subgroup.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook