1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find possible subgroups given some elements

1. Dec 6, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Suppose that H is a subgroup of Z under addition and that H contains 2^50 and 3^50. What are the possibilities for H?

2. Relevant equations

Relevant concepts are just the definitions for a group and subgroup.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Group_(mathematics)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subgroup

3. The attempt at a solution

The solution I was given is the following:

V4SNMuS.png

But what I'm wondering about, and would appreciate an answer to, is the following:

But the subgroup has operation "addition" so 2^50 = 50*2 = (2*5*5)*2, and 3^50 = 50*3 = (2*5*5)*3, so the possibilities for H are:

H=Z, H=2Z, H=10Z, H=25Z, H=50Z.

Or am I missing something?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 6, 2016 #2

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

Firstly, after ##"H## contains ##\mathbb{Z}"## you can stop, because ##\mathbb{Z} \subseteq H \subseteq \mathbb{Z}## (the latter for being a subgroup) already implies ##H = \mathbb{Z}##.

What you are missing is, that ##2^{50} \neq 50^2## or ##100##.

4. Dec 6, 2016 #3
    Thanks for reply. But if we write out the notation, then, for group with operation "addition":

250 = 50*2, and 502=2*50, and Z is commutative? That is, in general, an=n*a

5. Dec 6, 2016 #4

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

No, you can't confuse these notations. ##2^{50}## is simply a number and the subgroup is ##(H,+)=2^{50}\cdot (\mathbb{Z},+) + 3^{50}\cdot (\mathbb{Z},+)##. Otherwise one would have defined ##H=100\mathbb{Z}+150\mathbb{Z}=50\mathbb{Z}##.

6. Dec 7, 2016 #5

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

I think the notation used in the problem isn't consistent with the interpretation of ##a^k## for a group element ##a##. You are correct that for a group operation denoted "##*##", the interpretation of the notation ##a^3## is usually ##a*a*a##. So for the operation "##+##", the interpretation would be "##a+a+a##". However, I think the problem is using the notation for exponents in the standard sense that it is used for the field of real numbers. By that notation ## 2^3 = (2)(2)(2)## instead of ##2+2+2##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted