Not all smileys displayed with IE8 under Vista?

• Thread starter berkeman
  • Start date
In summary, IE8 has made it difficult for users to see smileys. If you use a smiley often, it may disappear the next time you log on. Downgrading to IE7 may help.
berkeman
Mentor
I recently upgraded my home laptop to IE8 (I'm running Vista). After the "upgrade", among many other issues, I now only see about the first third of the smiley pull-down menu in PF reply window. I'm not able to scroll down to any others.

Do other userss see all the smileys with IE8? My favorites are hiding now, limiting my PF experience pretty significantly. :tongue2:

Physics news on Phys.org
What? You haven't memorized the BB code for all of them yet? :biggrin:

Okay, that will be my Plan B. I can memorize them at work where I have been careful not to upgrade IE7-->8. What a PITA. Oops, infractionating myself now...

I have the same problem with IE8 on Windows 7.

But I didn't think it was worth whining about. :biggrin:

lisab said:
We had a thread on this a while back...https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=379548".
Thanks OP Berkeman for bringing this to my attention. I've been wondering why my smilies disappear. And thank you too, Lisa. I needed that link for the "Standard Smilies." It's a hit or miss when I post here on Physics Forums. I never have gotten all those smilies at one time. I have only nine right now instead of the whole lot of 26.

What I have noticed is if I use a smilie (my favorite which isn't showing now, but I will use your link Lisa to show it (:smile: ) more than twice a day on a given day, the next time I log on on another day it isn't available. It's like there's a rotation in sequence or maybe somebody didn't want me to smile on a certain topic! :devil: (Just kidding) Also, I don't have Vista.

Last edited by a moderator:
Firefox, opera, or chrome which works fine with smileys.

I have an "IT" friend. I don't have a problem with my computer. :smile: See that smile it showed up finally. I'm loving it. :smile:

Thank you you know who. :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
berkeman said:
So the bottom line is that we need Greg to put in a ticket to Microsoft. I'll write myself a Post-It note.

How do you downgrade IE8-->IE7. Rats.

Firefox forewah !

1. Why are some smileys not displaying correctly in Internet Explorer 8 (IE8) on Windows Vista?

This issue is likely due to compatibility issues between IE8 and the operating system, specifically with regards to font rendering. Windows Vista uses ClearType font smoothing, which is not supported by IE8. This can cause some smileys to appear distorted or not display at all.

2. Is there a way to fix this issue without changing my operating system or browser?

Yes, you can try changing the font settings in IE8. Go to Tools > Internet Options > General tab > Fonts and select "Use classic font smoothing" instead of "Use ClearType". This should improve the display of smileys in IE8.

3. Why do some smileys still not appear correctly after changing the font settings?

In some cases, the issue may be due to missing or corrupt font files on your computer. You can try reinstalling the default fonts for Windows Vista to see if this resolves the problem. You can also try using a different browser, such as Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox, which may display the smileys correctly.

4. Can website developers do anything to ensure smileys display correctly on IE8 and Windows Vista?

Website developers can use alternative methods for displaying smileys, such as using Unicode characters or image files, instead of relying on font-based smileys. This can help ensure that the smileys appear correctly for all users, regardless of their browser or operating system.

5. Will this issue with smileys in IE8 and Windows Vista be resolved in future updates?

It is unlikely that Microsoft will release any updates to fix this issue, as they have discontinued support for both IE8 and Windows Vista. It is recommended to upgrade to a newer browser and operating system to avoid compatibility issues with websites and applications.