Not sure if I should go with a mathematics major

In summary: Thanks for the input!In summary, becoming a professor is difficult, but it's definitely possible. Many talented people don't make it, so you should have a backup plan. CS classes can help you prepare for a career in math, and being passionate about the subject is also important.
RAF1940
Hi, everyone!

Well, I'm currently a math major at university, planning on going BS -> MS -> PhD, and then being a professor. The problem is, I'm not sure if this is a good career path.

Can anyone give me some insight or advice into this? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Becoming a professor is really difficult. It is very competitive, and many talented people don't end up making it. This isn't supposed to discourage you. If you want to be a professor, then go for it. But you should absolutely have a plan B. This could consist out of taking other applicable courses in your undergrad. For example, taking a few programming courses is very beneficial.

Yep, plan B type things are part of why I posted this.

I did take a CS class in the spring, and I may take another next spring. I'm just going into my sophomore year, so I've got plenty of time. I'm also considering a double major with physics or possibly with accounting/finance (to be more financially feasible and have a more lucrative career). Can anyone advise about that?

At my school the math majors choose from 4 different tracks, general math, applied math, math education, and then risk assessment and finance. I would personally go with applied mathematics and a computer science double major or applied math and finance. It's probably going to be very difficult to find a job with just a math degree

Yeah, I was thinking about applied mathematics as well.

What do you guys think about applied math/finance? And thanks for replying!

Applied Math and finance is a great option. One option you have is an actuary (which is my plan B), it has great pay and good job prospects.

An actuary requires good math skills, especially in probability and statistics, and a basic understanding of micro and macro economics. There are official "actuary tests" that you can take to certify yourself, and corporations take those tests seriously. You can get more info from google if you're interested.

Alright, thanks.

Well to start,
I don't think we really know enough about you to tell you what the best option is. Do you really enjoy the work in math you are doing? are you passionate about it? Do you enjoy it?
If yes to all, then I think you should absolutely pursue further studies. You wouldn't want to kick yourself later for not giving it a shot.

That being said, as mentioned above, sometimes things don't work out and it is often beneficial to have a plan B. It couldn't hurt to look at alternatives.

1. What career options are available with a mathematics major?

A mathematics major can lead to a variety of career paths, including data analysis, finance, computer science, and teaching. Many industries value individuals with a strong mathematical background, making a mathematics major a versatile and valuable degree.

2. Is a mathematics major difficult?

Like any major, a mathematics major can be challenging. It requires strong problem-solving skills and a solid foundation in algebra, calculus, and other mathematical concepts. However, with dedication and hard work, anyone can succeed in a mathematics major.

3. Will a mathematics major only prepare me for a career in academia?

No, a mathematics major can prepare you for a variety of careers outside of academia. As mentioned, the skills gained from a mathematics major are highly valued in many industries, including technology, finance, and data analysis.

4. Can I double major with a mathematics major?

Yes, it is possible to double major with a mathematics major. However, it is important to carefully plan your course load and make sure you have enough time and resources to successfully complete both majors.

5. What skills will I gain from a mathematics major?

A mathematics major will provide you with strong analytical and problem-solving skills, as well as the ability to think critically and logically. You will also develop strong quantitative skills and gain experience in data analysis and mathematical modeling, which are highly sought after in many industries.