Not sure why my method doesn't work: Springs, Potential Energy and Work

In summary: It's sometimes difficult to determine what level of understanding the question is aimed at, or what unstated initial conditions apply. I assumed a basic introductory physics situation, since this is the introductory physics forum. But I've been tripped up in this regard in the past.Eh.
ericcy
Homework Statement
A force of 18N compresses a spring by 15cm. By how much does the spring's potential energy change?
Relevant Equations
Ee=1/2kx^2, Fs=kx
I know that you can get the answer through using Fs as 18 and solving for K, then subbing it into the equation for elastic energy. I was just wondering why another method wouldn't work.

I tried doing it using the concept that Work is an equal to the Change in Elastic Energy, therefore Ee=xF, because x should be equal to the distance it traveled. I then got the answer of 2.7J which is wrong, I just don't know why that way wouldn't work.

All responses are appreciated, unit test tomorrow.

Physics news on Phys.org
ericcy said:
I tried doing it using the concept that Work is an equal to the Change in Elastic Energy, therefore Ee=xF, because x should be equal to the distance it traveled. I then got the answer of 2.7J which is wrong, I just don't know why that way wouldn't work.
Presumably the 18 N force is the final force holding the spring compressed to 15 cm. While being compressed, the force will change from 0 N to 18 N. Since the force is not constant, you can't apply a simply W = Fd approach. You would need to integrate over the trajectory.

Likes ericcy
gneill said:
In future, when you set your thread titles please make sure that they are descriptive of the specific problem or at least area of physics involved. In this particular case you might have mentioned springs, potential energy and work.
Thread title fixed up. :smile:

Likes phinds and gneill
gneill said:
Presumably the 18 N force is the final force holding the spring compressed to 15 cm.
Yes, but of course that is just a presumption. E.g. it could be that a weight is already sitting on top of the spring when the 18N is applied, in which case the gain in spring PE is greater. Or if it starts with a mass hanging from the spring and the 18N is applied upwards then the EPE could decrease (the 15cm 'compression' being actually a reduction in extension)!
A poorly worded question: it could lead some students to think the EPE change can always be determined directly from the changes in load and compression.

haruspex said:
Yes, but of course that is just a presumption. E.g. it could be that a weight is already sitting on top of the spring when the 18N is applied, in which case the gain in spring PE is greater. Or if it starts with a mass hanging from the spring and the 18N is applied upwards then the EPE could decrease (the 15cm 'compression' being actually a reduction in extension)!
A poorly worded question: it could lead some students to think the EPE change can always be determined directly from the changes in load and compression.
Yes, I agree with that assessment. It's sometimes difficult to determine what level of understanding the question is aimed at, or what unstated initial conditions apply. I assumed a basic introductory physics situation, since this is the introductory physics forum. But I've been tripped up in this regard in the past. Eh. I try to interpret the given problem in the light of the given statement and the "level" of the forum it's posted in.

Poorly worded or inadequately bounded questions seem to be (unfortunately) frequent for high school or first year university physics programs.

1. Why is my spring not returning to its original position?

There could be several reasons why your spring is not returning to its original position. One possibility is that the spring has lost its elasticity due to repeated use. Another possibility is that the spring is not properly attached to the object it is supposed to be pulling. It is also possible that the weight of the object is too heavy for the spring to fully extend. Check these factors and make adjustments as necessary.

2. How do I calculate the potential energy of a spring?

The potential energy of a spring can be calculated using the formula PE = 1/2kx^2, where k is the spring constant and x is the displacement of the spring from its equilibrium position. The spring constant can be found by dividing the force applied to the spring by the displacement it causes.

3. What is the relationship between potential energy and work in a spring system?

In a spring system, potential energy and work are directly proportional. This means that as the potential energy increases, so does the work done on the spring. This relationship can be seen in the formula W = ∆PE, where W is the work done and ∆PE is the change in potential energy.

4. Why is my spring not storing any potential energy?

If your spring is not storing any potential energy, it could be because the spring is not being stretched or compressed. In order for potential energy to be stored in a spring, it needs to be stretched or compressed from its equilibrium position. Make sure that the spring is attached to an object and that the object is being moved away from or towards the equilibrium position.

5. How do I increase the potential energy stored in a spring?

The potential energy stored in a spring can be increased by increasing either the spring constant or the displacement of the spring. This means using a stiffer spring or pulling the object attached to the spring further away from its equilibrium position. Keep in mind that increasing the displacement too much can cause the spring to break, so make sure to use caution and follow safety guidelines.