Not understanding calc proof of series

In summary, the conversation discusses the convention of using ##S_n## to denote the sum of the first ##n## terms in a series. The exponents in the series start at ##0## and end at ##n-1##, and the total number of terms is ##n##. The conversation also mentions the stress and anxiety associated with a calculus 2 final exam.
isukatphysics69

Homework Statement

calc proof.PNG
calc proof.PNG

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't understand why for the first part where the series goes up until arn-1, it cannot just go up until arn.. why will that first series always go up until arn-1 until it is multiplied by r?

Attachments

• calc proof.PNG
    calc proof.PNG
    20 KB · Views: 1,070
Physics news on Phys.org
isukatphysics69 said:
I don't understand why for the first part where the series goes up until arn-1, it cannot just go up until arn.. why will that first series always go up until arn-1 until it is multiplied by r?
By convention, ##S_n## denotes the sum of the first ##n## terms. The exponents start at ##0## and end at ##n-1##. If you count the terms, you will see that their total number is ##n##.

Likes isukatphysics69
kuruman said:
By convention, ##S_n## denotes the sum of the first ##n## terms. The exponents start at ##0## and end at ##n-1##. If you count the terms, you will see that their total number is ##n##.
i see, thank you!

i feel physically sick thinking about this calc 2 final

isukatphysics69 said:
i feel physically sick thinking about this calc 2 final
It, too, shall pass. Believe me, I've been there, done that. Good luck.

Likes isukatphysics69

1. What is a series?

A series is a mathematical concept that represents the sum of an infinite sequence of numbers. It is denoted by S and can be written as S = a1 + a2 + a3 + ... , where an is the nth term of the sequence.

2. What is a calculus proof of series?

A calculus proof of series is a method of showing that a given series converges to a specific value. It involves using mathematical techniques such as the limit comparison test, ratio test, or integral test to determine the convergence or divergence of a series.

3. Why is understanding calculus proof of series important?

Understanding calculus proof of series is important because it allows us to determine the behavior of a series and to make accurate predictions about its convergence or divergence. This is crucial in many areas of mathematics and science, such as physics and engineering.

4. What are some common challenges in understanding calculus proof of series?

Some common challenges in understanding calculus proof of series include the complexity of the mathematical concepts involved, the need for a strong foundation in calculus and algebra, and the abstract nature of series. Additionally, different proof techniques may be required for different types of series, making it difficult to generalize the process.

5. How can I improve my understanding of calculus proof of series?

To improve your understanding of calculus proof of series, it is important to have a solid understanding of the underlying concepts of calculus and algebra. Practice is also key - try solving a variety of problems and familiarize yourself with different proof techniques. Seeking help from a tutor or joining a study group can also be beneficial.