Not using a li-po battery reduces its life cycle?

In summary, lithium polymer batteries should be stored at about 70% of their capacity if they will not be used for an extended period of time. It is also recommended to store them at a temperature between 5ºC and 27ºC, with a lower temperature being ideal. The optimal voltage for long-term storage is 3.8-3.85V per cell and it is advised to check the voltage every few weeks to ensure it does not drop below 3.0V. According to Battery University, storing lithium-based batteries above 40% State of Charge should prevent any damage, and a lower temperature will result in a higher percentage of charge recovery after a long storage period.
kolleamm
If I don't use my lithium polymer batteries for an extended period of time will that damage them?

In that case how often should I charge them to prevent a such degradation?

Thanks in advance

Engineering news on Phys.org
This is a common problem in the RC aircraft community, LiPo batteries are generally recommended to be stored at about 70% of their capacity if they're going to sit unused for an extended period of time. In my experience it's probably ok to store them at full charge for around a week, after that, should store them at the reduced storage voltage.

http://www.dronethusiast.com/ultimate-drone-battery-care/

DroneEnthusiast.com said:
Manufacturers state that when storing lithium polymer batteries for any length of time, we should store them ideally at a temperature of between 5ºC & 27ºC. The lower the temperature the better. The optimum voltage for long-term storage, as already mentioned is 3.8-3.85V per cell. Best practice after a days flying, is to charge them back to storage voltage using the storage function on your charger.

Likes kolleamm
Okay so charge my batteries to 70%, how often would I have to recharge them so their voltage doesn't drop too much assuming they discharge over time? For long term storage.

Maybe check their voltage every few weeks and make sure they haven't dropped below safe levels (3.0 V)?

You could check Battery University website. It's basically a comprehensive encyclopaedia about battery technology, as the creator is a battery engineer itself working for a company called Cadex.

From what I know, there should not be a
problem as long as store lithium-based batteries above a certain threshold of State of Charge, in this case, 40%. And also according to the article, the lower the temperature you store them at, the higher the % of charge they will recover after a long time of storage.

This is the link, it's a pretty good reading with lots of technical info:

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_store_batteries

Likes 1oldman2

1. How does not using a li-po battery affect its lifespan?

Not using a li-po battery can significantly reduce its lifespan. Li-po batteries are designed to be used regularly and not using them can cause the battery to deteriorate and lose its capacity over time.

2. Will not using a li-po battery make it last longer?

No, not using a li-po battery will not make it last longer. In fact, it can have the opposite effect and reduce its lifespan. Li-po batteries need to be used regularly to maintain their functionality.

3. How often should a li-po battery be used to maintain its lifespan?

Li-po batteries should be used at least once every few weeks to maintain their lifespan. It is recommended to fully charge and discharge the battery at least once every 20-30 cycles.

4. Can not using a li-po battery cause it to become damaged?

Yes, not using a li-po battery can cause it to become damaged. If the battery is left unused for an extended period of time, it can become over-discharged and potentially become damaged or even unsafe to use.

5. How can I prolong the lifespan of a li-po battery?

To prolong the lifespan of a li-po battery, it is important to use it regularly and avoid over-discharging or over-charging it. It is also recommended to store the battery in a cool and dry place when not in use.