Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Not using a li-po battery reduces its life cycle?

1. Apr 30, 2016 #1
    If I don't use my lithium polymer batteries for an extended period of time will that damage them?

In that case how often should I charge them to prevent a such degradation?

Thanks in advance

2. jcsd
  3. May 12, 2016 #2

Mech_Engineer

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This is a common problem in the RC aircraft community, LiPo batteries are generally recommended to be stored at about 70% of their capacity if they're going to sit unused for an extended period of time. In my experience it's probably ok to store them at full charge for around a week, after that, should store them at the reduced storage voltage.

http://www.dronethusiast.com/ultimate-drone-battery-care/

4. May 12, 2016 #3
    Okay so charge my batteries to 70%, how often would I have to recharge them so their voltage doesn't drop too much assuming they discharge over time? For long term storage.

5. May 27, 2016 #4

Mech_Engineer

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Maybe check their voltage every few weeks and make sure they haven't dropped below safe levels (3.0 V)?

6. May 27, 2016 #5
    You could check Battery University website. It's basically a comprehensive encyclopaedia about battery technology, as the creator is a battery engineer itself working for a company called Cadex.

From what I know, there should not be a
    problem as long as store lithium-based batteries above a certain threshold of State of Charge, in this case, 40%. And also according to the article, the lower the temperature you store them at, the higher the % of charge they will recover after a long time of storage.

This is the link, it's a pretty good reading with lots of technical info:

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_store_batteries

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted