1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Not using a li-po battery reduces its life cycle?

1. Apr 30, 2016 #1
    If I don't use my lithium polymer batteries for an extended period of time will that damage them?

In that case how often should I charge them to prevent a such degradation?

Thanks in advance

2. jcsd
  3. May 12, 2016 #2

Mech_Engineer

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This is a common problem in the RC aircraft community, LiPo batteries are generally recommended to be stored at about 70% of their capacity if they're going to sit unused for an extended period of time. In my experience it's probably ok to store them at full charge for around a week, after that, should store them at the reduced storage voltage.

http://www.dronethusiast.com/ultimate-drone-battery-care/

4. May 12, 2016 #3
    Okay so charge my batteries to 70%, how often would I have to recharge them so their voltage doesn't drop too much assuming they discharge over time? For long term storage.

5. May 27, 2016 #4

Mech_Engineer

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Maybe check their voltage every few weeks and make sure they haven't dropped below safe levels (3.0 V)?

6. May 27, 2016 #5
    You could check Battery University website. It's basically a comprehensive encyclopaedia about battery technology, as the creator is a battery engineer itself working for a company called Cadex.

From what I know, there should not be a
    problem as long as store lithium-based batteries above a certain threshold of State of Charge, in this case, 40%. And also according to the article, the lower the temperature you store them at, the higher the % of charge they will recover after a long time of storage.

This is the link, it's a pretty good reading with lots of technical info:

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_store_batteries

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted