Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Not your standard '2005 in review' thread!

1. Jan 1, 2006 #1

Nereid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You can read lots of these - SkyNews', the ESA's, for example - I thought it might be fun to take a different view! :smile:

What were the most notable non-discoveries for 2005?

What were the most outstanding failures?

I'll go first. In the second category, I nominate Suzaku's loss of the X-ray Spectrometer.

Oh, and one more category - what was, in 2005, the most serendipitous discovery in astronomy?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 1, 2006 #2

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award

Nereid, why not take the best of the year? We wade through the worst every day. You read all the papers.

4. Jan 1, 2006 #3
    I will second the loss of the X-ray spectrometer. I was actually interning at GSFC this summer under one of the instrument scientists involved with the project, and was there when the failure occurred. He was extremely disappointed, especially since the calibration results came back looking so great.

5. Jan 1, 2006 #4

Nereid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Chronos, why not start your own thread on the best? I thought about it, and came up with some ideas ('which astronomy-related news item in 2005 stuck longest in your mind?', 'which caused, for you, the strongest feelings of wonder and delight, as you read it?', 'which lead to the most passionate/delightful/absorbing/{insert your favourite adjective here} conversations with co-workers, fellow students, family members, boyfriend(s)/girlfriend(s)?'). Feel free to take your pick :approve:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?