When should I use dy/dx versus f'(x) for derivatives?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of notation for derivatives. It is mentioned that both dy/dx and f'(x) are acceptable notations, but it is important to be consistent when using them. The conversation also mentions the use of different notation for the quotient rule, including Leibniz notation and Newtonian notation. Overall, it is important to be familiar with different forms of notation for derivatives.
dranseth

Homework Statement

I cannot seem to find my textbook and we just started derivatives. Can anyone tell me when I would use the notation dy/dx as opposed to something like f'(x)??

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
f'(x) is just function notation. If you're given an f(x), it's equally correct to use f'(x) or d(f(x))/dx, for example. In the case of f'(x), the derivative with respect to x is implied.

So it wouldn't ever matter which one I use? I could use both?

You should stick with one for consistency. There's nothing wrong with using y' over dy/dx, or f '(x) over d(f(x))/dx; Just be consistent.

dranseth said:
So it wouldn't ever matter which one I use? I could use both?

Not loosely in a sense.

For example, if you have

[itex]y=x^2[/itex]
You would write [itex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/itex] or [itex]y'[/itex] = [itex]2x[/itex] and NOT [itex]f'(x)=2x[/itex]

The dy/dx notation is nice when you're actually manipulating these as if they're actually numbers. It's a physicist's favorite trick (but a mathematician's worst nightmare). I for one am not a fan of f'(x), except when there are higher order derivatives involved.

I'd get used to both forms, as they seem to turn up alternately, at least in my experience.

For example the quotient rule:

Leibniz notation:

[tex]\frac{d}{dx}\left (\frac{u}{v}\right ) = \frac{\frac{du}{dx}\cdot v-u\cdot\frac{dv}{dx}}{v^2}[/tex]

Newtonian notation:

[tex]h'(x) = \frac{f'(x)g(x) - f(x)g'(x)}{[g(x)]^2}[/tex]

or in shorthand notation:

[tex]h'=\frac {f'\cdot g-f\cdot g'}{g^2}[/tex]

You might see something similar as well which is a Newtonian notation:

[tex]\dot{h}(x)=\dot{f}(x)+\dot{g}(x) \longrightarrow \ddot{h}(x)=\ddot{f}(x)+\ddot{g}(x)[/tex]

or

[tex]h\,\dot{}\,(x)=f\,\dot{}\,(x)+g\,\dot{}\,(x) \longrightarrow h\,\ddot{}\,(x) = f\,\ddot{}\,(x) + g\,\ddot{}\,(x)[/tex]

occasionally but these aren't used very often.

Which is the same as saying:

[tex]\frac{d}{dx}(u + v)=\frac{du}{dx}+\frac{dv}{dx}\longrightarrow \frac{d^2}{dx^2}(u + v)=\frac{d^2u}{dx^2}+\frac{d^2v}{dx^2}[/tex]

in Leibniz notation.

They look more complicated between forms sometimes, but once you get the idea they're pretty obvious.

Last edited:

1. What is the most common notation used for derivatives?

The most common notation used for derivatives is the Leibniz notation, which uses the symbol d to represent the derivative and places it in front of the function to be differentiated. For example, d/dx represents the derivative of a function with respect to x.

2. How is the derivative of a function written using the Leibniz notation?

The derivative of a function using the Leibniz notation is written as dy/dx, where y is the dependent variable and x is the independent variable. This notation is read as "the derivative of y with respect to x."

3. What is the benefit of using the Leibniz notation for derivatives?

The Leibniz notation is beneficial because it clearly indicates which variable is being differentiated with respect to, making it easier to understand and work with. It also allows for multiple derivatives to be written in a single expression, such as d²y/dx² for the second derivative of y with respect to x.

4. Are there other notations for derivatives besides the Leibniz notation?

Yes, there are two other commonly used notations for derivatives: Lagrange notation and Euler notation. The Lagrange notation uses a prime symbol (') to represent the derivative, while the Euler notation uses the symbol D. Both notations also indicate the independent variable being differentiated with respect to.

5. How do I determine the derivative of a function using notations?

To determine the derivative of a function using notations, you must first identify which notation is being used. Once identified, you can use the appropriate rules and formulas to find the derivative. For example, in Leibniz notation, you would use the power rule for derivatives, while in Lagrange notation, you would use the chain rule.