Derivative of -x using first principle

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the derivative of -x using the first principle of derivative. The attempt at solving it involves using the product rule and substituting different values for f(x) and f(x+h). The final conclusion is that the derivative of -x is -1.
rishi kesh

Homework Statement

This is a silly question,but i have a problem.How do we solve derivative of -x using first principle of derivative. I know that if derivative of x w.r.t x is 1 then ofcourse that of -x should be -1. Also it can be solved by product rule taking derivative of -1.x .

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Here is how i attempted it:
f(x)= -x
f(x+h)= -x+h
Using first principle :
dy/dx = [-x+h-(-x)]/h
= h/h
= 1
what is wrong here?please help. Thanks in advance:smile::redface:

Physics news on Phys.org
f(x+h) = -x-h

blue_leaf77 said:
f(x+h) = -x-h
But how does that work? Why it isn't -x+h ?:oldconfused:

rishi kesh said:
But how does that work? Why it isn't -x+h ?:oldconfused:

Try ##x = 0## and see what you get.

PeroK said:
Try ##x = 0## and see what you get.
Hey! I think i got it!
When, f(x)= x^2
f(x+h)= (x+h)^2
If, f(x)= -x
f(x+h)= -(x+h)
= -x-h
Is this right?

Likes PeroK
rishi kesh said:
Hey! I think i got it!
When, f(x)= x^2
f(x+h)= (x+h)^2
If, f(x)= -x
f(x+h)= -(x+h)
= -x-h
Is this right?

Quite right.

Likes rishi kesh

1. What is the first principle method for finding the derivative of -x?

The first principle method, also known as the limit definition of a derivative, is a mathematical technique used to find the derivative of a function at a specific point. It involves taking the limit of the difference quotient, which is the change in the function's output divided by the change in its input, as the change in input approaches zero.

2. Why is the first principle method important for finding the derivative?

The first principle method is important because it is the most fundamental way of finding the derivative of a function. It allows us to understand the concept of a derivative and its relationship to the original function. It also serves as the basis for more advanced methods of finding derivatives.

3. How is the first principle method used to find the derivative of -x?

To find the derivative of -x using the first principle, we first write out the difference quotient with the function -x. Then, we take the limit of this expression as the change in input approaches zero. This limit will give us the derivative of -x at the specific point.

4. Can the first principle method be used to find the derivative of any function?

Yes, the first principle method can be used to find the derivative of any function. However, it is usually only used for simple functions or for finding the derivative at a specific point. For more complex functions, other methods such as the power rule or chain rule may be more efficient.

5. What are the limitations of using the first principle method to find the derivative?

The first principle method can be time-consuming and tedious to use, especially for more complex functions. It also does not give us a general formula for the derivative, but only the derivative at a specific point. Therefore, it is not always the most practical method for finding derivatives, but it is important to understand the concept behind it.