• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Notes and soundwaves and periodic functions and algebra

• Thread starter brandy
  • Start date
this has to do with music and notes and soundwaves and stuff
i have to find out the sound waves for thirds (eg c and e or d and f or e and g.... u get the picture). its in radians by the way. i figured id worked out the formula for c and the formila for e and just add them but im not sure that is how u work out the soundwave for chords. and i also dont know how to simplify stuff with sin.
sin(32*pi*440^(-1)*t is the formula for c. sin(220^(-1)*pi*2^(-7/12)*t is the formula for e.
t=time and so on a graph its x
now that leaves me with (sin(32*pi*440^(-1)*t)+sin(220^(-1)*pi*2^(-7/12)*t. so i took a stab in the dark even though i knew this would be wrong (which it is) and said it equals sin(3025^(-1)*pi*2^^(-7/12)*t). help please?

Answers and Replies

Redbelly98
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Hi,

It's not really possible to simplify the addition of two sine curves, except perhaps under special circumstances. So you would just leave it as

sin(32*pi*440^(-1)*t) + sin(220^(-1)*pi*2^(-7/12)*t)

However, I'm not quite sure these are correct, that is the numbers being used here. You might want to double check on that.

so thers no way of writting that in a simpler form?

and also the figures may be off because the initial frequencys were given and may not be acurate.

Redbelly98
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
so thers no way of writting that in a simpler form?
No, there isn't.

and also the figures may be off because the initial frequencys were given and may not be acurate.
Okay.