1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Notes and soundwaves and periodic functions and algebra

1. May 21, 2008 #1
    this has to do with music and notes and soundwaves and stuff
    i have to find out the sound waves for thirds (eg c and e or d and f or e and g.... u get the picture). its in radians by the way. i figured id worked out the formula for c and the formila for e and just add them but im not sure that is how u work out the soundwave for chords. and i also dont know how to simplify stuff with sin.
    sin(32*pi*440^(-1)*t is the formula for c. sin(220^(-1)*pi*2^(-7/12)*t is the formula for e.
    t=time and so on a graph its x
    now that leaves me with (sin(32*pi*440^(-1)*t)+sin(220^(-1)*pi*2^(-7/12)*t. so i took a stab in the dark even though i knew this would be wrong (which it is) and said it equals sin(3025^(-1)*pi*2^^(-7/12)*t). help please?

2. jcsd
  3. May 21, 2008 #2

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi,

It's not really possible to simplify the addition of two sine curves, except perhaps under special circumstances. So you would just leave it as

sin(32*pi*440^(-1)*t) + sin(220^(-1)*pi*2^(-7/12)*t)

However, I'm not quite sure these are correct, that is the numbers being used here. You might want to double check on that.

4. May 22, 2008 #3
    so thers no way of writting that in a simpler form?

5. May 22, 2008 #4
    and also the figures may be off because the initial frequencys were given and may not be acurate.

6. May 22, 2008 #5

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No, there isn't.

Okay.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?