Nothing can travel faster than the speed of light

• B
  • Thread starter sAzt71
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

Hello,

I came to this site, with a question in mind.

The speed of light. Nothing travels faster than the speed of light. This is a phrase, most of us are familiar with, to some extent.

The word "Nothing" has two syllables, "No" & "Thing". There is no thing, that can, travel faster than the speed of light ?

To "think", is not a "thing". Therefore, thought, is not governed by the speed or frequency of light.

Our Eyes, receive Photon(s), from a Wave, with the Frequency of light. Do our Minds, receive Thought(s), from a Wave, with the Frequency of ? to think !

Who can gauge the distance, thought has traversed, if at all any.

Capture.PNG

Attachments

Last edited:

Answers and Replies

To "think", is not a "thing". Therefore, thought, is not governed by the speed or frequency of light.
Hi sAzt71, I have a question for you:
Do thoughts travel?
And if they do, where do they travel from?

I also have a spoiler below...
The speed of light is also a limit for how fast signals can travel, which includes all forms of communication.

Likes russ_watters
Demystifier
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
I can imagine a speed faster than light. I can even do calculations in a hypothetical theory in which such speeds are allowed. :smile:

pinball1970
Gold Member

Thoughts are just nerve impulses and chemical neuro transmitters, so they are all restricted by the same rules that govern other biological chemical reactions and physical electrical signals.

A link here to a few interesting points on the subject

https://hypertextbook.com/facts/2002/DavidParizh.shtml

So although "a thought" is not a physical object, the "thought" process involves physical objects within the brain and is therefore limited by c (although this limitation is irrelevant since the speeds involved are much slower anyway). The c limit might be of more importance in electronic or photonic AI.

A.T.
Science Advisor
Do our Minds, receive Thought(s), from a Wave
What's the frequency, Kenneth?

Likes Asymptotic and phinds
So although "a thought" is not a physical object, the "thought" process involves physical objects within the brain and is therefore limited by c (although this limitation is irrelevant since the speeds involved are much slower anyway). The c limit might be of more importance in electronic or photonic AI.
The dimensions of our Brain are; 20cm long x 10 cm high x 10 cm across, approximately.

jbriggs444
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
2019 Award
The dimensions of our Brain are; 20cm long x 10 cm high x 10 cm across, approximately.
In other words, less than 1 light-nanosecond in every dimension. Now how are you planning to localize a thought and time it to within plus or minus one nanosecond?

Likes davenn
New poster has ben reminded about posting mainstream peer-reviewed links to support their technical questions
In other words, less than 1 light-nanosecond in every dimension. Now how are you planning to localize a thought and time it to within plus or minus one nanosecond?
I recall, a docment, from a Doctor. with the, Size & Weight, for a Brain, from a deceased Professor.

Was the area of that Brain, equal to, less than or more than, the space of that Mind.

phinds
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
2019 Award
Was the area of that Brain, equal to, less than or more than, the space of that Mind.
What does that even mean?

Likes lekh2003
berkeman
Mentor
My goodness. Thread closed for a bit for Moderation...

Likes lekh2003
berkeman
Mentor
I recall, a docment, from a Doctor. with the, Size & Weight, for a Brain, from a deceased Professor.

Thread will remain closed unless the OP PMs me the links I requested.

Who can gauge the distance, thought has traversed, if at all any.
This is fairly easy to measure and is done as a diagnostic medical test on a routine basis. The speed of thought tops out at about 120 m/s. Far smaller than c.

Likes Asymptotic and sAzt71