Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Novel Generalization Of Square Triangular Nos?

1. Jun 27, 2010 #1
    Triangular numbers T(n) = n(n+1)/2. Certain triangular numbers are also square numbers: T(0) = 0 = 0^2; T(1)= 1 = 1^2; T(8) = 36 = 6^2, T(49) = 1225 = 35^2; T(288) = 41616 = 204^2; ....). It is well known that the arguments of the square triangular numbers {0,1,8,49,288 ...} have the recursive formula S(n) = 6*S(n-1) - S(n-2) + 2 while the square roots of the square triangular numbers {0,1,6,35,204,...} have the recursive formula Q(n) = 6*Q(n-1) - Q(n-2). As far as I know, no one has observed that the first two numbers of the S(n) series can be put into the generalized form 0 = 0 and 1 = 4a+1 while the first two numbers of the Q(n) series can be put into the form 0 = a and 1 = 3a + 1 where a can be any integer and that the general relationship is now T(S(n)) = (Q(n)+a)*(Q(n)-a).
    Where "a" = 0, the infinite set of square triangular numbers are generated.
    But where a is other than 0, an infinate set of triangular numbers that can be factored into a product of two integers differing by 2a is formed.
    For instance let a = 1
    S(n) = {0,5,32,189,...}
    Q(n) = {1,4,23,134,...}

T(0) = 0*2=0
    T(5) = 3*5=15
    T(32) =22*24=528
    T(189) =133*135=17955
    Because the recursive formula of S(n) is S(n) = 6*S(n-1) - S(n-2) + 2 there is no common method to determine a closed form formula (non-recursive) for the nth term but there is a simple way around this. To find the close form equation for the nth term of the S(n) series for various values of "a", we consider the modified series S<n> formed by adding 1/2 to each term of S(n) so that the recursive formula is now S<n> = 6S<n-1> - S<n-2>. To determine the close form formula for such a series is straight forward. Then we can use the relation S(n) = S<n> - 1/2.

Can anyone suggest where I might find disclosures of my finding prior to mine. If there are any, I would like to know.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 12, 2010 #2
    Your post is not very accessable. Could you expand upon the last paragraph? Also what are you trying to prove/state?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook