Nuclear Engineering PhD to Medical Physics Residency (questions)

In summary: Your goal is admirable and I commend you for wanting to make a change in your career. I think it's important to remember that the job market for medical physicists is not as bad as it seems. The statistics I've seen are that most people who enter the job market don't stay for very long, but that doesn't mean that it's not worth trying to find a residency. The best way to find out what your chances are is to contact the residency programs you're interested in and ask for an application packet. You can find the contact information for most residencies on the CAMPEP website. Thank you for your question and for your interest in medical physics.
raddose
I'm have a PhD in Nuclear Engineering, and all of my research has been on the radiological health and dosimetry side. I am interested in a career in Medical Physics and plan to apply to several residencies this upcoming year. I am currently working at a research laboratory, and although the work is semi-interesting, I don't get much fulfillment because I am not able to see the benefits of my work. I want to go into a career where I can see the fruits of my labor first-hand, and I have always been interested in Medical Physics, so I'm planning on applying for several CAMPEP residencies.

Having read the majority of the Medical Physics threads on this forum (including the 14 pg one that was closed :smile:), I see that there are mixed feelings on the job market. Some say it's OK, some say it's horrible. All pretty much agree that it is slower than it was 5 years ago (but that's the case with all job markets). Also, I have heard mixed opinions on applying for a residency with a PhD in an areas besides MP. I have contacted residencies to see if I am a eligible candidate, and they ask me to apply because I am definitely qualified, but then I see some people here saying that your chances aren't that good if you don't have a PhD in MP.

Saying all that, I have a basic list of concerns, and I'm wondering if some of the MP folks on here could give me their advice:

1. I'm worried that I may be leaving my current job as a research scientist paying about $90k for a job in MP that doesn't exist (this fear is due to the shoddy job market in MP that I has come up several times). Also, it just never feels comfortable walking away from something you have (a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush).

2. I'm worried that by asking my current boss to write several recommendation letters, I may make things a bit awkward at work for the time period from application to hearing back from the residencies. If I don't get into a residency, I don't know if things will be "the same" as work considering my boss knows that I was willing to leave my current job for something else.

3. Finally, I'm a worried that if I don't give Medical Physics a shot, I will regret not taking the chance. (My mind cycles through these 3 worries 1->2->3->1 ...)

Also I have a few questions:
1. Are there any statistics for CAMPEP residency acceptance rates available?
2. Are there any statistics for residency job placement rates upon completion of a CAMPEP residency?
3. Based on my background, what do you think my chances are of getting into a residency?
About me
Age - 27
Degree - PhD Nuclear Engineering
Research - 7 papers published in peer reviewed journals

Thank you for taking the time to read this and respond. Your input is much appreciated.:biggrin:

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure anyone can give you any concrete answers. I haven't seen any statistics on residency acceptance rates or permanent job placement rates from residencies. Recent PhD graduates from CAMPEP-accredited programs I've been involved with have been successful in finding residencies or other full-time positions. And similarly the residents have been successful in finding medical physics jobs once they've obtained their certifications.

Getting into an accredited residency from NOT having come out of an accredited graduate program, is becoming more difficult. The problem is that most programs expect clinical work to come from their residents and if you don't have the background coursework, you'll be spending that first year or so just getting up to speed on the background knowledge you need to perform clinically (I don't know how much applies to your particular situation, but this is at least the perception you'll be fighting against). Sometimes, employers are willing to accept this - particularly if you're looking at a residency/post-doc position where the skills you bring to the research game will allow you to push the research project forward better than anyone else.

Your situation is a little different from that of a student. You have a reasonable job and you're looking for something better. NOW may not the the best time to make the jump from an economic point of view. I've heard some CAMPEP PhD gradates from are having difficulty finding jobs. MSc graduates are having an even harder go of it. So there is a lot of competition for residency positions.

Also worth factoring into your decision is the fact that by 2014, the ABR will require graduation from both an accredited graduate program AND an accredited residency. The CCPM, which is largely accepted on par, is following suit in 2016.

On the other hand, from a personal point of view, NOW may be a good time for you to make this jump - depending on how willing you are to transfer cities, whether you have a family to support, etc. - as opposed to waiting for a few years for the economy to pick up, when your circumstances may be different and you may not as easily give up a steady paycheque.

One final option worth considering is that there is at least one CAMPEP-accredited program out there for PhDs who want to get into medical physics without doing another degree. PM me if you want the details.

PM sent

Thanks for the response.

My experience tells me that Ph.D. degree holders are more competitive than M.S. degree holders for many residency positions (all else being mostly equal). Many residencies are based in academic settings and will ask that you present on your research during the interview process, and that is obviously a place where your Ph.D. will be valuable -- especially since it sounds like your research has application in the field of medical physics.

There are even some medical physics fellowship programs out there for Ph.D. holders that consist of two years of clinical training and two years of research, which might be something to consider if you are interested in both academic and clinical physics. You would have to check to see whether the clinical components are CAMPEP accredited, though, as getting in the pipeline for ABR certification is obviously a priority if you want to avoid having to complete another graduate degree.

As a fellow scientist, I can understand your desire to see the direct impact of your work in a fulfilling career. Medical Physics is a highly specialized and important field in healthcare, where your expertise in dosimetry and radiological health can be directly applied to improving patient outcomes. I applaud your decision to pursue a residency in this field, and I am confident that with your background in Nuclear Engineering, you have a strong foundation for success in Medical Physics.

Regarding your concerns, I would like to offer the following advice:

1. While it is true that the job market in Medical Physics has slowed down in recent years, it is still a growing field with a high demand for qualified professionals. Your background in dosimetry and radiological health is highly relevant to the field, and I believe you have a good chance of finding a fulfilling job in Medical Physics after completing a residency. It is important to keep in mind that any career change involves some level of risk, but if you are passionate about this field, I believe it is worth taking the chance.

2. It is understandable that you may feel awkward asking your current boss for recommendation letters, but it is a common practice in the scientific community. If your boss values your work and sees your potential for success in Medical Physics, I am sure they will support your decision and be happy to provide you with strong recommendations. If you do not get accepted into a residency, it is important to communicate openly and professionally with your boss and assure them that your decision to apply for a residency was not a reflection of your satisfaction with your current job.

3. As for your chances of getting into a residency, I cannot give you a definite answer as admission decisions are based on many factors. However, with your PhD in Nuclear Engineering and relevant research experience, you have a strong academic background that will be attractive to residency programs. It is also important to highlight your passion for Medical Physics and your motivation for pursuing a career in this field in your application.

To answer your questions, I am not aware of any specific statistics for CAMPEP residency acceptance rates or job placement rates, but they may vary depending on the program and location. It is best to contact the specific programs you are interested in and ask for their statistics. As a general rule, having a CAMPEP-accredited residency on your resume will greatly increase your chances of finding a job in Medical Physics after completion.

In conclusion, I believe that pursuing a residency in Medical Physics is a worthwhile and fulfilling

1. How does a PhD in Nuclear Engineering prepare someone for a medical physics residency?

A PhD in Nuclear Engineering provides a strong foundation in physics, mathematics, and engineering principles that are essential for understanding the complex technology and procedures used in medical physics. Additionally, the research experience gained during the PhD program helps develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills that are crucial for a medical physics residency.

2. Can someone with a Nuclear Engineering PhD pursue a medical physics residency without prior medical experience?

Yes, it is possible for someone with a Nuclear Engineering PhD to pursue a medical physics residency without prior medical experience. However, the individual may need to take additional courses or gain hands-on experience in a clinical setting to meet the requirements for a medical physics residency program.

3. Are there any specific prerequisites or qualifications needed for a Nuclear Engineering PhD to be eligible for a medical physics residency?

Typically, a Nuclear Engineering PhD would need to have a strong background in physics, mathematics, and engineering, as well as coursework in biology and medical physics. Most medical physics residency programs also require applicants to have completed a clinical internship or have relevant clinical experience.

4. What are the career opportunities for someone with a Nuclear Engineering PhD and a medical physics residency?

There are many career opportunities for someone with a Nuclear Engineering PhD and a medical physics residency. They can work in hospitals, cancer treatment centers, research laboratories, and government agencies. They may also have opportunities to work in industry developing new medical technologies or in academia conducting research and teaching.

5. How long does it typically take to complete a Nuclear Engineering PhD and a medical physics residency?

The time it takes to complete a Nuclear Engineering PhD and a medical physics residency can vary depending on the individual's background and program requirements. On average, it takes 5-6 years to complete a PhD in Nuclear Engineering and 2-3 years to complete a medical physics residency.