Nuclear models: excited states of 182Ta

In summary, the conversation revolves around a nuclear physics course and a past paper question regarding the energy level spacing of a series of nuclei. The question specifically mentions the level scheme of 182Ta, which appears to have over 40 levels under 1MeV. The individual attempting to solve the problem references information from the course textbook, Krane, and suggests that the complexity of the level scheme could be attributed to multiple explanations such as rotational and vibrational bands. They also mention the possibility of a deformed ground state with excited vibrational bands contributing to the finely split levels.
joe_blogs
Hi all,

I'm doing some test prep for a Nuclear Physics course and working on a past paper. I've attached a photo of the question. The diagram is 3.19 in Krane. The course is based on Krane, and so the relevant chapter is Chp 5: Nuclear Models.

Problem description

The problem is to explain the energy level spacing for a series of nuclei based on some basic nuclear models. I can do some of them - e.g. 120Te and 178Os show the regularity and spin-parity combinations expected for rotational and vibrational nuclei respectively.

What I'm stuck on is the slightly bizarre level scheme for 182Ta. There appear to be over 40 levels under 1MeV, and I don't understand why. It's a pretty vague question, but I assume any answer should explain the character of the level scheme - i.e. it's great complexity.

My attempted solution

I know that nuclei in the 150<A<190 range are deformed and often have level schemes characterized by rotational bands, and that explanations of level schemes often build together multiple explanations. e.g. p146 in Krane, the levels of 164Er are partially explained by appealing to three rotational bands, built on a deformed ground-state and two vibrational states.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Joe

Attachments

• 04052010049.jpg
    04052010049.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 424
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I've made some progress, which is essentially a reworking of the 164Er case.

Rotational level spacing is of the order of 10 keV, so that's the clear candidate for the levels. I feel like I need to supplement this with an explanation of why there are so many levels, however. I'm thinking of a series of excitations with finely split levels. Say, a deformed ground state with excited vibrational bands (both beta and gamma vibrations) with rotations built onto all of those. 182Ta is big enough to be deformed in the g.s., and with the limited data available I'm not sure what more there is to say.

1. What is a nuclear model?

A nuclear model is a theoretical framework that describes the structure and behavior of atomic nuclei. It is used to understand and predict the properties of various nuclear states, such as excited states of a particular isotope like 182Ta.

2. What are excited states of a nucleus?

Excited states of a nucleus are energy states above the ground state, where the nucleus is in its lowest energy state. These states can be reached through various processes, such as radioactive decay or nuclear reactions, and they have different energies and lifetimes.

3. What is special about the excited states of 182Ta?

182Ta is a rare and unstable isotope of the element tantalum, with only one known excited state. This excited state has a relatively long lifetime compared to other nuclear states, and it is used in nuclear experiments to study the properties of the nucleus and its interactions.

4. How are nuclear models used to study excited states?

Nuclear models use mathematical equations and physical principles to describe the behavior of nuclei, including their excited states. By inputting experimental data and making predictions, these models can help scientists understand the underlying mechanisms and properties of these states.

5. What are the potential applications of studying the excited states of 182Ta?

The study of excited states of 182Ta and other nuclei has important implications in various fields, including nuclear energy, medicine, and astrophysics. It can help improve our understanding of nuclear reactions and processes, as well as contribute to the development of new technologies and treatments.