Nuclear physics reaction, minimal energy to make it work

In summary: Yes, absolutely.In the CM frame, what is the total momentum after the collision?Always 0. This means that as long the momentum vectors of the particles are the same and in opposite directions the momentum is conserved. The only worry now is the total energy after the collision which depends only on the magnitude of those vectors. Well if I pick both magnitudes as 0 , I still have total momentum 0 - check , and minimal incoming energy of both...In summary, the conversation discusses the minimal energy needed for a photon to collide with an atomic electron in rest, resulting in the creation of K and neutrino. The masses of all particles are considered known, and conservation of four momentum is taken into account. After considering various angles and
Coffee_
1. Consider the reaction that happens when a photon collides with an atomic electron in rest ##\gamma+e^{-} <---> K^{-} + v_{e}##. The masses of all particles can be considered as known. What is the minimal energy that the photon needs to have to make this reaction work?2. Conservation of four momentum3. Frankly, I am quite lost. At first glance I'd say that ##E_{\gamma}+m_{e}=E_{K}+E_{v}## and then say that the minimal energy required is to create the K and neutrino in rest, and so substituing the masses for the energy in the last expression. This won't work with conservation of momentum though. Hoewever once I consider that it gets harder because of the allowed angles after collisioN.

Physics news on Phys.org
Coffee_ said:
I'd say that ##E_{\gamma}+m_{e}=E_{K}+E_{v}## and then say that the minimal energy required is to create the K and neutrino in rest, and so substituing the masses for the energy in the last expression. This won't work with conservation of momentum though. Hoewever once I consider that it gets harder because of the allowed angles after collisioN.
There's only one angle to worry about, no? Having set an unknown for the angle the departing neutrino makes to the incoming photon's path, the angle for the K follows by conservation of momentum in the direction orthogonal to the photon's path. Then it's a matter of minimising the energy with respect to the one angle.

haruspex said:
There's only one angle to worry about, no? Having set an unknown for the angle the departing neutrino makes to the incoming photon's path, the angle for the K follows by conservation of momentum in the direction orthogonal to the photon's path. Then it's a matter of minimising the energy with respect to the one angle.

Do you mind elaborating on that a bit? You seem to have seen this easily without calculations so I'm probably overlooking something.

Coffee_ said:
Do you mind elaborating on that a bit? You seem to have seen this easily without calculations so I'm probably overlooking something.
Post your momentum equations, then we'll have a reference point for discussion.

haruspex said:
Post your momentum equations, then we'll have a reference point for discussion.
Here you go: http://imgur.com/CpEDxzi

I just wrote down what I knew, but I wasn't sure where to go from there because there seem to be too much unknown.

Coffee_ said:
Here you go: http://imgur.com/CpEDxzi

I just wrote down what I knew, but I wasn't sure where to go from there because there seem to be too much unknown.
You've written ##E_\gamma## for both the energy and the momentum of the photon. Is there some convention I don't know, or is that a mistake?
Your last equation gives a relationship between the two angles. You can take one angle as the independent variable and the other to be a function of it. Differentiate wrt the independent angle to find the minimum ##E_\gamma##.

haruspex said:
You've written ##E_\gamma## for both the energy and the momentum of the photon. Is there some convention I don't know, or is that a mistake?
Your last equation gives a relationship between the two angles. You can take one angle as the independent variable and the other to be a function of it. Differentiate wrt the independent angle to find the minimum ##E_\gamma##.

In natural units, since the mass of a photon is zero, the momentum and energy are equal. Thanks for the tip I'll try it out and reply with results. In a previous post you mentioned something being perpendicular, will this lead to it or is it a different approacH?

Coffee_ said:
In natural units, since the mass of a photon is zero, the momentum and energy are equal.
OK, I thought it might be something like that. can't help feeling it's a bit confusing though. Dimensional consistency can be a useful check on the algebra.
Coffee_ said:
In a previous post you mentioned something being perpendicular,
Do you mean where I wrote 'orthogonal'? You already did that bit in your eqn 4.

haruspex said:
OK, I thought it might be something like that. can't help feeling it's a bit confusing though. Dimensional consistency can be a useful check on the algebra.

Do you mean where I wrote 'orthogonal'? You already did that bit in your eqn 4.

Tried playing with it for a bit without much luck. It sucks because basically it's an algebra momentum-energy problem which I was supposed to have learned to solve in classical mechanics intro courses. I guess it's because we always worked with given values, not used to having 4 variables in these problems.

Coffee_ said:
Tried playing with it for a bit without much luck. It sucks because basically it's an algebra momentum-energy problem which I was supposed to have learned to solve in classical mechanics intro courses. I guess it's because we always worked with given values, not used to having 4 variables in these problems.

Can you find a simple argument for both angles being 0?

Hint: if you can't see it in the original frame, try thinking about the collision in the CM frame.

Remember you are trying to minimise the energy.

PeroK said:
Can you find a simple argument for both angles being 0?

Hint: if you can't see it in the original frame, try thinking about the collision in the CM frame.

Remember you are trying to minimise the energy.

Oh right! In the CM frame, they can be created in rest without problems, this means an opening angle of 0 in the lab frame! Right?

Coffee_ said:
Oh right! In the CM frame, they can be created in rest without problems, this means an opening angle of 0 in the lab frame! Right?

Yes, absolutely.

PeroK said:
In the CM frame, what is the total momentum after the collision?

Always 0. This means that as long the momentum vectors of the particles are the same and in opposite directions the momentum is conserved. The only worry now is the total energy after the collision which depends only on the magnitude of those vectors. Well if I pick both magnitudes as 0 , I still have total momentum 0 - check , and minimal incoming energy of both particles.

PeroK said:
Yes, absolutely.

Thanks a lot for your help, so now I have the expression for the photon energy in function of the known masses in CM frame. Do you now recommend finding an expression for ##\beta## of the CM relative to the lab frame and then transforming the photon energy into that frame? Or just work in in lab frame and assume angle 0?

Coffee_ said:
Thanks a lot for your help, so now I have the expression for the photon energy in function of the known masses in CM frame. Do you now recommend finding an expression for ##\beta## of the CM relative to the lab frame and then transforming the photon energy into that frame? Or just work in in lab frame and assume angle 0?

You can do it either way, but if you know how to do energy-momentum transformations, try using the CM frame.

PeroK said:
You can do it either way, but if you know how to do energy-momentum transformations, try using the CM frame.

My attempt here: http://imgur.com/u2izMjJ.

In the right lower corner it's a derivation for ##\beta_{CM}## in function of the photon energy in the lab frame. The expression will be very ugly, and then that expression will have to be plugged in the other one in the left lower corner. I doubt an elimination of ##E_{\gamma}## will be possible.

Coffee_ said:
My attempt here: http://imgur.com/u2izMjJ.

In the right lower corner it's a derivation for ##\beta_{CM}## in function of the photon energy in the lab frame. The expression will be very ugly, and then that expression will have to be plugged in the other one in the left lower corner. I doubt an elimination of ##E_{\gamma}## will be possible.

You're missing a trick. Think about energy-momentum transformations for a system of particles.

PeroK said:
You're missing a trick. Think about energy-momentum transformations for a system of particles.

Alright since you mentioned more particles I tried using the fact that the electrons energy transforms as well, this gives me a much better expression:

http://imgur.com/GvM5u8p

Oh nvm I made a mistake I'll post an edit in a sec.

EDIT: correct version - http://imgur.com/kyVNJjk

Last edited:
Coffee_ said:
Alright since you mentioned more particles I tried using the fact that the electrons energy transforms as well, this gives me a much better expression:

http://imgur.com/GvM5u8p

Oh nvm I made a mistake I'll post an edit in a sec.

The trick you're still missing is that energy-momentum transforms for a system, as it does for individual particles:

##E_1^2 - P_1^2c^2 = E_2^2 - P_2^2c^2##

Where the E's and P's are the total energy and momentum of a system of particles in two frames.

PeroK said:
The trick you're still missing is that energy-momentum transforms for a system, as it does for individual particles:

##E_1^2 - P_1^2c^2 = E_2^2 - P_2^2c^2##

Where the E's and P's are the total energy and momentum of a system of particles in two frames.

Oh! I never heard of this fact before I'm still in an intro course to relativity. Yeah now it is indeed a quick calculation. Is my final link techincally correct as well?

Coffee_ said:
Oh! I never heard of this fact before I'm still in an intro course to relativity. Yeah now it is indeed a quick calculation. Is my final link techincally correct as well?

You can show this easily by showing that the sum of the individual energy-momentum transforms according to the Lorentz Transformation. Hence, the total energy-momentum of a system of particles is also a four-vector with the above frame-invariant.

You should get a very simple answer to this one. Start from what you got in the CM-frame for total energy-momentum.

PeroK said:
You can show this easily by showing that the sum of the individual energy-momentum transforms according to the Lorentz Transformation. Hence, the total energy-momentum of a system of particles is also a four-vector with the above frame-invariant.

You should get a very simple answer to this one. Start from what you got in the CM-frame for total energy-momentum.

Is it alright to do it with just the four vector product invariance then?

##p_{\gamma CM} p_{e CM} = p_{\gamma LAB} p_{e LAB}## where these are four vector products. According to the four vercot product convention in our class this will give (I've already used the fact that the angle between them is ##\pi## here.:

##2E_{\gamma CM}E_{e CM} + 2p_{\gamma CM}p_{e CM}= 2E_{\gamma LAB} E_{e LAB}## Now these are all numbers, no vectors anymore. p's represent the magnitudes of the three-vector momentum.

Everything is known/can be reduced except for ##E_{\gamma LAB}## and thus eliminating it yields the correct solution?

I'm not sure that's so useful,here. You don't know the individual energies (or momenta) in the CM frame, but you do know the total energy and momentum. Unless you work with the total energies it's going to get messy.

PeroK said:
I'm not sure that's so useful,here. You don't know the individual energies (or momenta) in the CM frame, but you do know the total energy and momentum. Unless you work with the total energies it's going to get messy.

I do know them in the CM frame assuming the decay happens so that the resulting particles are at rest, in the CM frame in natural units (c=1 , hbar:=1):

##E_{\gamma} + E_{e} = m_{k} + m_{v}##

## E_{\gamma}+\sqrt{p^{2}+m_{e}^2} = m_{k} ## (neglect neutrino mass)

Alright here we know that both particles have momentum ##p##, for a photon which hass no mass in my units the energy is equal to the momentum, so ##p=E_{\gamma}##

## E_{\gamma} + \sqrt{E_{\gamma}^2 + m_{e}^2} = m_{k}##

Only the energy of the photon in this frame is unknown and can be expressed quite nicely eventually. This is on it's turn equal to p of both particles, and so everything in the CM frame can be expressed.

1. What is nuclear physics reaction?

Nuclear physics reaction is a process in which the nuclei of atoms are altered, resulting in the release of energy. It involves the manipulation of atomic nuclei through bombardment with subatomic particles or other nuclei.

2. How does nuclear physics reaction produce energy?

Nuclear physics reaction produces energy through the conversion of mass into energy, as described by Einstein's famous equation E=mc^2. This is known as nuclear fission or fusion, where the nucleus of an atom splits or combines with another nucleus, respectively, releasing a large amount of energy.

3. What is the minimum energy required for a nuclear physics reaction to occur?

The minimum energy required for a nuclear physics reaction to occur depends on the specific reaction and the elements involved. In general, a minimum amount of energy is needed to overcome the strong nuclear forces that hold the nucleus together and initiate the reaction.

4. How is the minimum energy for a nuclear physics reaction calculated?

The minimum energy for a nuclear physics reaction is calculated using the principles of nuclear physics and the properties of the elements involved. This includes factors such as the binding energy of the nucleus and the mass of the particles involved in the reaction.

5. Can the minimum energy for a nuclear physics reaction be controlled?

Yes, the minimum energy for a nuclear physics reaction can be controlled through various means such as manipulating the particles involved, changing the temperature or pressure of the reaction, or using a moderator to slow down the particles and increase the chances of a reaction occurring.