Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Null geodesics of the FRW metric

1. Dec 10, 2014 #1
    When working with light-propagation in the FRW metric
    $$ds^2 = - dt^2 + a^2 ( d\chi^2 + S_k(\chi) d\Omega^2)$$
    most texts just set $$ds^2 = 0$$ and obtain the equation
    $$\frac{d\chi}{dt} = - \frac{1}{a}$$
    for a light-ray moving from the emitter to the observer.

Question1: Do we not strictly speaking also have to check that the above equation actually specifies a geodesic?

Setting ##ds^2 = 0## does not automatically guarantee that the obtained relation specifies a geodesic, right?

Question2: Is there a quick way to verify that the above curve indeed is a null-geodesic?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 10, 2014 #2

PeterDonis

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Yes.

I don't know of any quicker way than finding an affine parametrization of the curve and plugging in to the geodesic equation, but someone else might.

4. Dec 10, 2014 #3

PAllen

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, the given metric displays spherical symmetry. Then, for a radial null path, there is one solution. Then, if it is not a geodesic, what could choose a direction?

I would thus say, it is an interesting consistency check (which I have done for Kruskal coordinates) to verify satisfaction of the geodesic equation. However, for purposes of doing the least work for a valid conclusion, it is superfluous (in this particular case).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook